1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New pics of chicks 6 weeks old now

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kezabel, Dec 4, 2009.

1. kezabel

kezabel Chillin' With My Peeps

I have six silkie eggs bought from the local feed store and one is bluish in colour. What type of silkie lays blue eggs? Oh and its about to hatch I can hear it chirping!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Pure bred Silkies do not lay blue eggs. You most likely have an EE egg.

3. kezabel

But the egg is tiny like the other eggs just a slight tinge of blue.

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I think there were people working on a blue egg laying silkie at one time.

Once it hatches we can probably Identify it for you. [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    There are bantam EE's too.. But like chickenwhisperer said, we can identify it when it hatches.

6. kezabel

Thanks guys I will definatley take pics of it and the others when they hatch. I have no clue what color any of them will be because I didn't see the hen/hens that lay them. The feed store has their own silkies where the eggs came from but I didn't see the birds when i bought the eggs because they were about to close for the night. I'm so excited its my first hatch. They are under one of my bantams that went broody, thats why I got the eggs. Its day 20 and 3 are chirping!!!!!!

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Good luck with them! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I have a whole flock of tiny blue egg layers. Complete mutts. The only thing I know for certain they have in them is d'uccle. You can only get the colored gene into a breed if you cross out to another breed or EE. You could then breed the traits from the other breed back out so the chicken looks like the breed you started with. People do it all the time. We don't keep track of chicken pedigrees close enough to know what is truly purebred and what isn't.

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Your feed store sells hatching eggs!?!?! And Silkies at that? I sense an evil plan brewing, ala Josie and the Pussycats......

10. kezabel

[​IMG] Woohoo They hatched and the blue egg hatched too. So far I can see that one chick is blue/black and the other I can see is Buff and blue/black There is another I think but I can't see it under mum yet. I'll get photos when they dry out a bit and when Mummy will let me lol They are adorable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by