New pics of Jax, seven month old GSD

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Oct 24, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since y'all have been following Jax's growth from the time we got him and he turned 7 months old on the 22nd, I decided it was time for new pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We weighed him one last time on the house scales - me holding him. 74.5 lbs. Next weigh in will have to be on the farmer's co-op scales.

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I have wanted a GSD for quite awhile. I know they are good watch dogs. Are they good for helping protect chickens? Does he ever show aggression?

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He shows no outright aggression. When someone first pulls up to the house, he will bark at the fence until he sees who it is and that we are okay with that person, then he sits and waits for them to approach him. GSDs are naturally reserved with people they don't know and watch their owner for cues on how to behave around that person.
    Jax also instinctively? patrols the entire fence perimeter when we first let him out, then he gets down to the business of pottying.
    We had to teach him that the chickens are part of the family, just as we had to teach our Charlie Girl. Once he understood that, he's been fine with them.
    We don't leave him outside unattended, so I have no idea how he would do as a livestock guardian. The breeder uses their males as livestock guardians for sheep. I think it's sheep, it may be cattle.

4. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    He is so handsome! It's so weird, my breed is fully grown at that time, and your boy still has a ways to go. He's going to be massive!
    Oh and I bet he would guard the chickens. People forget that GSD's are at their roots a hearding breed just like a border collie or what have you.

5. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    he's gorgeous [​IMG] My brother's beagle's name is Jax!

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow! He's gotten big! When you speak of him I always see him as a puppy, but he's going on full size dog now. What a beauty!

Are the cats still tormenting him?

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Beautiful boy you have there! Love the name too, that is awesome.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not much. KiKi the siamese loves him and he's learned to give her "kisses only!" instead of grabbing her whole head in his mouth.
    Kitty just avoids him, using her stickers when necessary.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, Jax has another 17 months of growing to do, since he won't be considered full grown until he's 2.
    The breeder says based on his current size and his parents sizes, he'll easily reach 100 lbs. And yes, they are inherently a herding/guardian breed.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh and btw, I don't think it would hurt to mention his full name (including our last name). It's Ajax Vom Tucker. The new pup will be Zeus Vom Tucker. We'll call him "Z' for short.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by