new pics of my 6 week old chicks-are we boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlisa, Oct 8, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Here are new pics I just took awhile ago of my 5 week old hatchlings...frizzled cochins, Silkies, and 1 Black Langshan...I know 1 is for sure a little Roo- we even heard him attempt to crow at 2 weeks old. The rest I think are pullets...chime in w/ your opinions please.Sorry if they are too big and too many pics...
    1)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    5) & 6)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    7)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

let me know if they are boys or girls in your opinion,please. Also what color is #1? What is that called?
    Thanks, Lisa

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    WOW, what great pictures. It looks like they were posing. I think you're right. At least one looks like a Roo. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a co-worker who has a whole wall at home with chicken pics on it - your frizzle was just added to the wall of fame.

4. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    cool!
    Which one- Punky or Peter?
    Thanks for letting me know!

5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE! GO SILKIES! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Anyone know if anyone other than Peter is a young roo?

7. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I only see the one as a roo-the one with a large red comb & wattles but BEWARE: silkies are terrible to sex & all look like pullets often for as long as 6 months!!!! The 1st one is a cuckoo colored bird.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  8. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Quote:Thanks!! Wonder where the term 'cuckoo' came from, are cuckoo birds colored like that? Anyway, I'm so glad to get one in that batch- only 3 babies hatched from those eggs...And Punky (the lighter colored frizzled one) looks like there is a bit of that coloring on her too....
    I have some almost 6 month old Silkies out in my pen (1 Blue and 7 buffs) and still don't know if they are boys or girls. No sign of crowing or eggs yet either.

9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    #2, 3, 6 and maybe 7 are cockerels. If #7 wasn't showing waddles I would say a pullet but red waddles at 5 weeks usually means cockerel.

10. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks
    hope you're wrong though. I'm hoping Ranger and Punky end up being pullets...I already know Peter is a boy. He crowed at 2 weeks old and his comb and wattles are the only really red ones in the bunch. Time will tell, but I'm anxious to know now.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by