new pics of my 6 week old chicks-are we boys or girls?

Quote:
I hope I am wrong too. I have been known to make mistakes so you can hang on to that. I just like these guessing games and try to give my honest opinion.
hugs.gif

Hi Lisa!
I think #3 and #6 are boys and the rest girls.
I'm amazed by the chicks coming from the Frizz girls! They are darlings!
This is the Cochin roo that is with the Frizz girls:
331225553.jpg

I'm tickled so many of the chicks are inheriting his cuckoo-ing.

I wish I had #1 here, she is (Cochin x Silkie) X Cochin.
I'd mate her with a splash Silkie and get some blue Cuckoo chicks (I think the boys would be blue cuckoo and the girls solid blue).
Thanks for the pics!
smile.png

Lisa

Oh yay- I hope you are right. I do have a blue Silkie who may be a boy (or maybe a girl, too! I have no idea!) But if its a boy, would mating #1 to him (?) produce blue cuckoos Silkie X Cochin babies also?
your Roo is gorgeous! SO glad he's my chicks' daddy!Thanks for the pic!
Will update as they mature a bit more...
Lisa

Hi Lisa!
Mating her with a blue Silkie should make blue and black chicks (boys would be blue or black cuckoo and girls would be blue or black).
The neat thing (or aggravating thing, depending on how you look at it) is #1 *most likely* carries the silkie feather gene and when you cross her with a Silkie, you will get a % of silkie feathered cuckoo boy-chicks.

Keep the nicest of those silkie-feathered cuckoo boys to mate with blue / black Silkie girls and you have started your own line of blue/black Cuckoo Silkies.
smile.png

Lisa

omg those are the cutest things ever.

what color silkie is the one in the first silkie picture? that is just so adorable I can't stand it.

not sure if that is Splash or Birchen. I've heard of both, but not sure what its called. Anyone? She has a touch of crook neck or whatever its called- spins around sometimes like a whirling dirvish...I give her Poly-vi-sol drops and it has helped a bit...

What breed is #2?

If she is a Frizz Cochin, I am going to say she is a pullet. I have Cochin's that are 11 wks old now and I swore 2 of the 3 were cockerels until a couple weeks ago. Their combs and waddles were like your #2 baby at the same age. Now I am 95% sure they are all pullets.

This is one of my Self-Blue Cochin Pullets. She is 3 weeks old here.
SelfBlue_Cochin_Pulletd_3wks_a.jpg

Here she is 4 weeks. When this photo was taken I SWORE she was a cockerel!
SelfBlue_Cochin_Pulletd_4wks_a.jpg

And here she is 8 wks old and NOT a cockerel! :)
SelfBlue_Cochin_Pulletd_8wks_b.jpg

Great photos and beautiful babies you've got there!

~Anne

Thanks for the nice comments and the beautiful pic of your gorgeous pullet! My #2 chick is a frizzled cochin...and hopefully you are right about her...(?) All of my frizzles seem to be ending up to be cockerals so far. I've got 2 Black Frizzled boys, and the one in the pics that's Mottled black and a boy. I've got 1 buff frizzle who may be a girl, now that I think about it. She doesn't seem to have the comb and wattles that the boys do. Hope so, I'll try to get some pics of her later today...
Thanks again.
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom