New Pics of my Percheron

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Oct 16, 2007.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL I rarely ride her western, but we had novice rider company who needed a horn...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    She's beautiful! Congrats! [​IMG]

3. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I love big horses!!! [​IMG]

4. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    [​IMG]

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    The percherons we see here are used in the fields. Its great to see them do other things! Beautiful horse!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is Marcie, right? She's lovely. I love dappled horses and big ones, too.

7. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Brocbuster...what's so funny? Never seen a wide load before?!

Cyn - yup that's my Marcie girl. I've pretty well taken her off the market by increasing her sale price (don't tell DH) because I just love her!

Carol - this mare has never SEEN a harness. I've had her since she was 2 - she's a spoiled rotten pet. DH comes from SW Indiana, I've seen those poor Amish drafts...not a life I'd choose for a horse anyway. When we move to Indy, I'm going to train her to pull a cart so we can give hay rides and do weddings to help pay for her enormous feed bill!!

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That just makes me sooo jealous! I really wanted a small draft horse after I lost the last horse. My dad didn't want one though because he didn't think he could fit his legs around it with his bad hips. Oh well, eventually I will get my draft! They sell cheaper than most horses around here too!

Beautiful horsey!

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh! I love that!
    An old Percheron cross named Dennis was the horse I learned to ride on! Well, I called it "riding", but really they would put me on his back while he was out grazing in his field, and I was happy up there for hours! I was only two, and his back was so wide it was like sitting on a table. One time I must have fallen asleep up there and fallen off, because the next thing I remember I was lying on the ground, his huge feet stepping very carefully over me, and then my mom screaming across the pasture! Not to worry - Dennis was the best babysitter that ever was - he was just turning around to see if I was OK. [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, he was in the cow barn one night when it caught on fire. He managed to break his way out, but had to be put down afterwards. Sometimes there is just no justice in the world...[​IMG]

10. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Doodle - these bigguns can be really hard on the knees, but I've not noticed any difference as far as my hips are concerned. That said - as wide as Marcie is, she isn't as wide as some because she still fits all of my saddle's trees - which are TB to large horse sized. Now, girths/cinches are a whole different story! Marcie is 18 hands and 2150 lbs...

Bea - that's SO sad! Drafts can be great babysitters. Marcie is so sweet with beginner riders...takes smaller steps and everything. Heck, she taught my DH to ride at the same time she was being taught to ride!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by