New pics of my quackers!! (breed question also)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Here are some new (better) pics of my quackers. I am not sure if the rouen duck is actually a rouen. I was told by describing her that she may be a rouen/mallard cross, any ideas??
    She is hiding behind my cayuga drake in this pic.
    [​IMG]
    Her and the cayuga drake again...
    [​IMG]
    One of her by herself.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!! Hope you can help out with my girl's breed!!!

ETA: Her bill is mostly black/dark brown with an orange-ish tip.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    How old is she? Mallards are ALOT smaller than Rouens.
    Thats why I am thinking she is a mallard. A female Rouen, to my understanding, would be as large or larger than your Cayuga drake

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not exactly sure. She was young when I got her in September, but she was fully feathered. She was still peeping though. I would say maybe 5 months? She is smaller than the rouen drakes I have, but they are at least 3 months older than her, if not more.
    I had asked before, because I had seen her fly. She can not fly real good, but she can fly better than the other ducks can. If they fly off the bank of the pond, most of them land about 5 feet from the bank. She goes a good 20-30 feet before she plops in!
    I was told she was probably mixed, cause she is smaller, but not that much smaller. Plus she can fly, but not really well, just better than the others.

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Its takes about 1 1/2 years for a rouen to reach full size, thats what I was told, but that a little hard to believe for me

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's what I've heard as well, but I don't think there is that much 'growing' after the first 6 months or so. I think after that, the majority is just gaining weight, or 'filling out'. Someone said you could tell by the color of the bill, so that's one reason why I posted new pics. That, and to show off my babies! [​IMG]

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I can't tell from your pics, but does she have one black stripe across her eye or two?

Mallard = One

Rouen = Two

[​IMG][​IMG]

See?

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    From what I can tell of the pics, it looks like she has one and a half [​IMG] Idk, I'll have to check tomorrow when I feed them, if I can remember. It does look like she has the stripe below her eye as well, it just doesn't look as long as the pic. I have never heard that about rouens and mallards? I wonder why noone else has ever mentioned it? That would be an easy way to tell! Much less headache [​IMG]

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    You've never heard that? I have had both mallards and rouens and the rouen I inherited when the neigbors moved away and just left their ducks. I wanted to know what she was and in looking it up that's one distinguishing mark I learned. I have never had a mallard have two stripes. They may have a small stripe by their bill but if it doesn't go all the way up to the eye, they aren't a rouen.

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    we learn something new everyday! now if we could only find something that easy with the males.... [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:No, I've seen many posts on here asking 'is this a rouen or a mallard?' and I have never seen anyone put that as a definite difference. I've even searched online, and basically the only differences I've read are the size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by