New pics of Mystery Duckling! *Updated again!*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, May 3, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I went in to my feed store and they were having a chick and duck sale to get rid of all of them for the rest of the year. They had this little guy left all alone in a tub and he seemed pretty stressed out, so I felt bad for him.....bad enough to take him home with me. He fits right in with my other 3 duckies and he is really friendly now that he is with some buddies.

He is noticeably smaller than the rest of mine, although he is the same age from the same shipment, and he is already starting to grow tiny tail feathers. My first 3 are not. He also stands up pretty straight sometimes, but I have no idea if Runners come in this color pattern. I'm going to do some research online, but I'm not familiar with his color/pattern, so ANY suggestions you can give me will be wonderful!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    runner duck [​IMG]

3. houndsrtops

houndsrtops Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2008
    Runner for sure

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Sure is cute. Now I better get to bed as the chicken swap starts at 6 am and we have be be up at 4am so I can get there and get my duckies and chicks. I want one just like that cutie pie. I think it's a runner

5. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    He looks like some of my runner/khaki crosses. If he stands straight up when scared he is a runner, is he doesn't go straight he is most likely a cross.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think the camera is angled odd as well. Look at the angle of the duckling in comparison to the food dish and the brooder in the background.

-Kim

7. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Compared to the feeder he is not standing at all straight, and he has a lot hanging out the back. I'd say Khaki/runner or something else, maybe Saxony.

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I thought he looked alot like the Khaki I have seen before at the stores before.

-Kim

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I say Saxony, too.
    From Feathersite.com

Day old Saxony
    [​IMG]

Four week old Saxony
    [​IMG]

Khakis are olive green as ducklings.

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I have to look up more on the Saxony Duck, I've never read anything about it before. If he is one, it should be interesting! They look beautiful.

I already have a Khaki Campbell...in fact.....his booty is right in the front of the screen. And my Crested likely Fawn& White Runner's booty is the yellow shape right behind the new guy. I don't think he is a Khaki because he is so light colored and my K.C. is really dark. The camera might have been angled a little, they were having their tank cleaned and upgraded(I gave them a huge new place!), but he also was standing pretty horizontally at the time, very relaxed. I will have to watch him closely when he comes out to play tomorrow to see if he stands up straighter than my Ancona & KCampbell or not. I thought he did...but maybe I'm just imagining he is a Runner Duck.

Oh, another thing. These ducks supposedly all came from Cackle Hatchery, but I don't remember seeing Saxony Ducks on their list. Maybe they're just not listed currently?? Then again, if he is one of their Runners, I have no idea what color type he would be. There was only one other duck I reme mber seeing that resembled this guy in the store all season.

Ok, so it seems to be a fairly evenly split vote right now. I'm a little confused...off to do some research!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by