new pics, we are 5 weeks old now....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sparkette65, May 18, 2009.

1. sparkette65

sparkette65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    MA/RI border
    do you have any idea if we are male or female?
    Im pretty sure the two white ones are white leghorns, the other two EE's.
    This one has the green legs, and I think it could be a roo, the comb is much redder in person:
    [​IMG]

The chicken butt in the backround belongs to the chicken in the first pic. I think this one in the forground is a hen, although I did think it was a roo for a while.. no red in the comb at all.
    [​IMG]

and these are the EE's and they also have the green/gray legs and no red, as a matter of fact they almost have no comb at all...
    [​IMG]

all 4 in the sun lol
    [​IMG]

all of your opinions are greatly appreciated [​IMG]

thank you

Lori

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I would have to say hen??
    But then again I have no idea BUMP.

Man those things have big feet [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

the second pic looks like a roo to me.
    his legs are so thick and his comb looks to be off to a good start. my buff orps didnt get real color in the comb till later.

i am new at this but thinking roo.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    First two look like roos to me.

5. sparkette65

Apr 1, 2009
    MA/RI border
    would love it if a few more opinions were given.

I can keep "a" roo, but I cant keep two or more, so the sooner I know how many I have the sooner I can find a home for any extra roo's there may be. and the sooner I can decide how/where I will get females to replace them.

I wanted a few chickens so I could have laying hens, and If I end up with a rooster, then so be it. but I cant have more than one. I dont want to have any fights in the coop/run between two roosters, and I have seen the two white ones kind of stand up to each other, although they havn't actually banged chests yet, it looks like they may in the near future...

so if anyone else could give a few more thoughts on this then I can decide what I will do about it.

thanks so much for your time [​IMG]

Lori

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I felt the same way you do, but have 2 roosters that seem to be buddies. Of course they have grown up together and one is clearly the alpha roo and the other his sidekick. They are quite good friends it seems. At least for now at 4 months old. I have been enjoying the roosters so much I keep delaying what I once thought was inevitable, but so far so good! I am researching ways to keep them happy and not have too much hassle on the hens.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    It looks to me like you may have 3 easter eggers. The white one has green legs and a pea comb - looks like a third EE. It's definitely not a leghorn - leghorns have yellow legs. The white EE is probably a roo - comb is pretty pink for only 5 weeks. The 2 brown EE's look like definite pullets to me.

The last chick has pretty thick legs for a leghorn pullet and a leghorn roo would have a bigger comb than that at 5 weeks (they grow they're combs very early). Is it possible the chick is a white rock?

8. sparkette65

Apr 1, 2009
    MA/RI border
    It could be anything. They were a week old when I bought them.
    If it is a white rock, will it be a good laying hen? And are white
    Rock chickens meat birds? I wanted laying hens [​IMG] and if we had one roo that would be ok, but I wanted BYC's so we could have our own
    Eggs.
    I started collecting all things needed to make an incubator. Just need a water wiggler and a cooler, so I can build it.
    I have been doing some research, and I think I want to hatch RI reds, and EE's. I think three of the chicks are EE's but I think they may all 3 be bantams? So that means smallish eggs?? I'm not sure that's what I really wanted...
    Not sure what to do now.
    Although I can't wait to build this incubator!!

Thank you all
    Lori

9. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    all are cockerals except for the third picture.

10. sparkette65

Apr 1, 2009
    MA/RI border
    I don't know... The largest white one let's me pet it and today,
    I placed my hand on it's back and it went right down to the
    Ground and stayed under my hand without a fuss, and I didn't
    Put any force or pressure on it. It could have walked away
    At any time and didn't move till I lifted my hand. I really hope
    That one turns out to be a she, it loves attention and being
    Touched.
    I would love to find someone near me with ee pullets
    For sale. I want to buy two that are not bantam sized.
    My zip code is 02895. Anyone near me? Pm me if so.
    Thank you everyone for posting [​IMG]
    Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by