New pictures of Hershey aka HE-She, the ROOSTER! and Cocoa roo too?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Dec 14, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    So my long drawn out, is Hershey a roo or pullet, has finally ended. He is 7 1/2 months old. Still no crow, but this guy has shown his colors! He is a he. Still not trying to get with the girls and he is still low on the pecking order. He is our only roo, unless cocoa is also a roo (which I am thinking probably). They were sold to me as BCM pullets, and they are clearly neither!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is cocoa, it is 6 1/2 months old. The comb has me stumped though, it is not even close to red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cocoa looks hen still

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    That's a roo. Look at those saddle feathers, those deep red shoulders, and the comb. Sorry [​IMG]

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I know on your other thread I said that Cocoa might be a pullet, but now I am thinking she is actually a he also. I see an awful lot of shiny feathers coming in on the neck and back and those wings are getting awfully red and patchy. [​IMG]

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

1st is a roo. 2nd...looks pullet...but im not sure...could be a late bloomer cockrel

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Didn't realize the last bird was a different one. However, without better pictures, I still say Roo from those deep colored shoulders...

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Both roos. Hens don't get the red in the shoulders like that. Marans are very late developers so your boys will get more boyish with every passing day.

Lanae

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Quote:Are Marans usually late bloomers? I have 3 FBCM that I hatched from dark eggs from a very nice line. I only got 3 that made it (darn shipped eggs!) and even though they are less than 4 mos old, I know I have 2 roos and one pullet. The roos already have LONG hackle, saddle, and tail feathers. They're as obviously roosters as my Blue Andalusian and Wheaten Penedesenca roos the same age, though they aren't crowing like my Mediterranean boys. [​IMG]

They're definitely mixed. The way those feathers stand up on the head and something about just the way they look makes me think they have a silkie grandparent or great-grandparent. Not anything recent or they'd have odd combs and lots of leg feathering.

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I would say the second one was a roo too.

10. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    2nd is a roo if you look closely you can actually see the saddle feathers poking through, usually when cockerels are raised together there is one that is obvious and the others hiding in the wings hence this late bloomer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by