New pictures of Indy the human chicken!!! Check it out!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicken_china_mom, Sep 8, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Here are some new pics of Indy the human chicken. She's getting so big, and more spoiled every day! Here is my baby girl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is our baby that doesn't think she's a chicken. She is convinced that she is human and wants NOTHING to do with other chickens. We aren't sure what she is, she's a mutt I hatched from some eggs I got from another BYC'er, and it was my first incubating attempt and she was the only chick to survive. She was the most beautiful little red chick when she hatched, complete with the chipmunk stripe. I was told that she could have a BLRW daddy or a Welsummer daddy, and her mommy could be EE, BO, BLRW, or Welsummer. She hatched from a very light brown egg, so I think by process of elimination I can rule out EE and Welsummer. She's not a pure bred. Her legs are pink, her beak is pink, and she is EXTREMELY vocal. She hardly ever is quiet. She's feisty, messy, and clingy, but I love her. She is my 3rd daughter, lol. She follows around my girls like a little puppy dog, it's so cute. I'm so happy to be able to finally share some pictures of her. I'll post some more soon!

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    My kids wish we had a human chicken. Just chicken chickens here...

3. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Lol, Indy was SUPPOSE to be a chicken chicken and go out to live in the coop. I didn't expect her to be terrified of other chickens. She has been around them, she just prefers human company to that of other chickens. She was crying this morning cause she wanted out of the bedroom. She has learned to whine like the dog when she wants out of the room. Brat. She has also learned to jump down off her perch at night in my dark room and make her way over to my bed and jump in with me. [​IMG] She jumps down and cries and cries as she runs over to the bed, and then she comes up til she touches the bed, and then jumps up. There's no getting rid of her either. She will NOT stay on her perch. During the day while I am at work she sits on the couch with my mom. She has learned that the kitchen sink is wonderful for finding scraps of food on plates and will go steal bits of food off any unwashed dishes in there. She will also try to drink the sink water, so I keep it drained, lol. She refuses to drink her water and insists on drinking with the dogs. They don't seem to mind it and just ignore her. She also has decided that she doesn't care for chicken feed and wants people food. We have to put her in the bedroom during meals or she will be in our plates devouring our food! So she stands at the bedroom door and cries to be let out, and when that doesn't get her what she wants, she goes and stretches out on my bed and waits for the door to be opened so she can escape. She's behind me now searching for anything that might be on the floor, which is nothing since we vacuum regularly. Silly bird, I mean human chicken... [​IMG]

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Okay, I've got to ask. How often does she poop on everything she shouldn't poop on?

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She's adorable! Love the pics, especially the last one!! [​IMG] [​IMG] thanks for sharing!

6. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Quote:She doesn't poop as much as I thought she would. Her new diaper should be here soon. I had one made for her and 3 of my other birds that were being bullied out in the coop. However now that number has raised by one, so I'll need to get another diaper. I use potty pads under her and I keep paper towels on hand all the time! Usually we see her squat and slip the pad under her. We've gotten fairly good at that! She is a doll though. She followed my kids into the bedroom and is now asleep with them. Tell me she isn't spoiled...

7. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    So, over the summer, DH and I would hear what sounded like a dog whining like a dog, we blamed mockingbirds. Do you mean it could have been a chickendog? (Ours are not quie chickenhumans, but they do stand at the door expecting to be let in)....

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You imprinted on her as a chick and she thinks you are the top of the pecking order. That's cool.

9. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Quote:It's quite possible I think. I have chihuahuas and my little chi boy whines for everything. Indy sleeps with the dogs and interacts with them daily, and suddenly, day before yesterday she starts this whining! It kind of came out of nowhere. It's a unique sound, but nonetheless, it's whining. I have been teaching her the word no, which causes her to whine if it's food she's wanting, but she stops dead in her tracks now when I say no. I hold my hand up between her and whatever it is she's going after I say "No!" very firmly, and she stops and lowers her head and waits for permission. When she doesn't get it, she turns around and leaves. We had brownies for dessert tonight and she spotted the plate with the crumbs and went after it. I stopped her with a "No" and she lowered her head and looked so sad, but she went no further. Instead she turned around and jumped off the desk and went to go find her food which is in a dish on the floor next to the couch. She is slowly learning that she can't have everything she wants. She follows my mom around crying in the mornings if she knows she's drinking coffee. Crazy chicken liked coffee! And she waits for me to set my iced tea down so she can steal it. I've learned to keep my cup up and out of her reach. She has water, she just likes flavor, lol. She is a real character.

10. thecluckstonian

thecluckstonian New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    i have a human chicken too! she's our little buff polish chick. she arrived and grew up with 4 other pullets - one of which is a silver polish - and now that they're adolescent she wants nothing to do with them! we call her the loner as she's always wandering around by herself in the yard. she gets bullied in the coop, and at the feeder, and basically any time we're not outside to defend her.

she follows us around and is only happy when she's standing on our feet or beside our legs. as we walk she weaves in and out of your steps like a cat!

we're keeping her inside at night for now, the goal being to get some weight on her so she'll be better able to hold her own. is this a good strategy? is there anything else we can do to help her adjust to "real chicken" life ahead?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by