1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Pictures of my finished coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ydkjenn, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ydkjenn

ydkjenn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I'm proud of this kinda haphazard coop, as I did it myself! It's amazing what you can do if you really want to.

I found a dog run at a garage sale that I used for two sides of the run to give me an approximately 12' x 12' run, covered with chicken wire. The back wall of the run is the existing chainlink fence with a large pallet wall rigged to one side to attach the chicken wire to. I covered that side and the top too. Behind the shed, you can see an extension of another large pallet that made up the one wall of the run, covered with chicken wire. I cut a pop door hole in the side of the shed, and have an oversized piece of plywood that extends about 6 inches past the hole on each side. I have brackets on the top and a twist lock clasp thing on the bottom to secure at night. The door is propped open with a 2 x 4 during the day. There's a gate/door in the run and a door on the shed you can kind of see.
    The blue thing in the corner is an old part of a kids' sand table with the legs removed. There's sand in it for grit and a dust bath. They also have a bucket to play with that I hide treats in and an old log that I move to various positions.
    The pallets, 2x4, sand table piece, and bucket were all free! Like I said, did the whole thing on my own, including running chicken wire ceiling across the whole thing.

I have six happy girls in their 6 x 8 shed and 12 x 12 run. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moss farm

moss farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2014
    Advance North Carolina
    Good job! The girls will be happy. It looks good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by