new pig owner, she had her litter, help !!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Yvonne37894, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Never had pigs before, lot of questions,
    Do I need a souce of water for the piglets? Sow has a nipple waterer, but its to high for piglets.
    how soon to put a creep feeder out or is it needed?
    If I worm the sow will the piglets get the wormer also?
    They are less than 1 week old, when should they be wormed?
    Is the tooth job nessary?
    If you have any other important info that I havent a clue of, please tell me.

2. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Hello, trying to answer your questions. First are these show pigs or are they destined to be feeder pigs to eventually butcher?

Are they with the sow or in a crate where the sow is restricted?

3. biddybird

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    They do need water ASAP. You can secure a small nipple down low or there is a piglet waterer that you have to refill, like a chicken waterer(but different), if you can find one.
    The teeth don't have to be clipped if they are not show pigs, but I will warn you they are sharp and grow fast. Mama would love you for it and If you are planning to "play" with them I would clip them. All you need is a small set of dikes(to cut wire), Easier at the age yours are if someone holds to where their head is level with the holders. Grasp the pigs nose and force your surgilcal covered thumb in cross ways of the mouth and hold the tongue out of the way, cut with the other hand, it takes practice if they are moving alot. Only clip the long fangs on each side, top and bottom. I leave them about a 1/8-1/4 inch long depending on the size of the tooth. Dont clip to the gum. Sometimes they will bleed.

If they are show pigs, you will need to ear notch and dock tails. I'm in Texas it is VERY hot here. I do this late at night or early morning when it is the coolest. If you need more info on that let me know.

I start feed around 2 wks, you will waste some, they play and poop in it but will learn to eat. If you notice they are in Mama's food you can start a little sooner.

Little pigs need iron, I always give an iron (1 cc) shot with a very small needle when born, again at 10 days and again at weening.

You shouldn't need to worm now. I worm the sow when I pull her pigs and worm the babies with baby Ivomec at 20pounds

Mama needs to be kool and babies need a warm spot so they don't lay under mama.

I'll keep trying to monitor this if you need more help. They are not that hard to keep but there are some tricks to it. I've been raising for 11 years and had up to 215 babies so I've seen alot! Have fun and good luck!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  4. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    They are for butchering, mixed breed.
    We have them in a 12X24 stall with a fan on them, we are in FL its hot 24 7 here. Also have a mud hole to lay in and cool off.
    We can pull the bottom board and open up next stall for a creep feed room and have water & feed in it.
    Thanks for all the info, I'm trying to think of something to put water in for tonight or until I find the nipple waterer

5. biddybird

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Since they are in the mud I would definately worm at 20lbs. Particularly if you have not wormed the sow in the last month of pregnancy. On the mud they will get iron naturally so you probably don't need the iron shots unless you notice they are not thrifty and growing.

The extra pen would be a great idea. They will eat, drink and play hopefully where they are safer.

I hope mama feeds them away from the mud in case they fall asleep when they eat. I would worry about your mud hole. Sometimes the mud hole gets so thick and deep with mud the babies will not be able to get out, also mama will not know she is laying on one. We have lost some 6-8 week olds that stuck in the mud without a mama in the pen. (very wet year, where is that now? We haven't seen rain since February) Also at about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks old you will have babies that want to eat when mama is standing. They will suck while standing and some mama's flop down, depends on the sow. Some are great and carefull, some are not at all.

Good luck, I have only raised one liter in a pen many years ago. There was actually an old hut she laid in, the babies were able to crawl under the floor of the hut and came out when she "called". We had no mud hole but had a mister set up in a place where the ground was solid bedrock. We didn't lose any. Hope yours do well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    We got the 3rd stall opened up for them, works great.
    We are letting the mud dry up because 3 got in it and could get out.
    She is very carefully when she lays down. If the squeal she gets up.
    The mister is a great idea, will look for it today.
    You have been very helpful, I cannot thank you enough.
    Yvonne

7. biddybird

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Sounds like you have a good mama. You should be fine.

Glad to help, I LOVE Pigs! Can you tell? If you need something I will keep checking this thread.

My first litter is due today and I can't wait to hug some babies!

8. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Biddybird
    How many did you get with your litter?

Another question,,
    she has a cough and its getting worse.
    Could it be worms, wormed her when she only weighed 20 lb
    Can we worm her now?

9. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps