New pigeon/ problems/update with pictures

chinbunny

In a hutch
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Got my giant house pigeon hen in the mail today. the bird I mentioned in a previous post. def has the body type of a house pigeon, but seems to be a bit smaller then my other birds. Mine also look lik ethey have better rossettes,and clam shell shaped feathers on the back of their necks/heads. She is about the same size as my blue grizzle cock bird. The other hen looks huge compared to her. she is supposed to be a show quality hen. While I know nothing showing in apa shows, I am guessing I got a show cull. Either way, I love her. My mom even thought she was a beautiful bird. Still, I am happy about the purchase, and that I got her. Pictures will come soon. She does have better muscle tone then my bigger birds.

Got to looking this bird over tonight when I got home. And noticed she has a deformed foot. It looks like the deformities broiler chickens sometimes get. Either its an old injury(possible bumble foot), or its a deformity. All the toes curl. One curls under the others. Also look like she has a healed calace in the middle of the foot, and scaley leg, or leg mites. The other leg looks fine and healthy. She's not having any issues walking on it. There is some loose skin on the effected toe. But no infection. So, how would I go about treating the leg mites? Would ivernmec horse paste dewormer work?

Gonna keep her and use her for breeding. Just not going to buy from that seller again. Kind of bummed because I had planned to show her next fall. Oh well.

Last edited:
For scaley mites, apply some oil (we use sweet oil, but other kinds will work) to the effected areas everyday and it will soon go away. The oil suffocates the mites.
Pigeons can get bumblefoot, so if there's always a chance it could have had it before. Can you get any pictures of the legs/feet of this bird? A few different things can cause the toes to curl, but I'd need to see it to get a better idea. I don't blame you for not wanting to do business with that person anymore. Sounds like you did get a cull, and apparently their birds aren't given the best care
sad.png

Quote:
I said something about to the seller I am getting another pair of archangels from. Says he he knows of the guy, and he is adealer. He buys the birds, but doesn't keep them long. Also said he used to raise hous epigeons. That the birds this guy was selling are possibly mixed with something. Says the fot problem can be hereditary and that he should have never sold that bird as show quality, nor sold it period. I will get some pictures of the leg when my camera batteries are charged. all the toes are crooked with some very long toenails. so I asked the guy with the angels if he knows of any good breeders I can eventually purchase from. seems to be pretty good, and his bird slook nice. so we will see. Been giving me a lot of information about giant house pigeons and archangels ever since I expressed interest in his auctions. The other guy never bothered to answer any questions. When I told him about the problem with the bird I purchased from him, first he said it was a nest box injury. Then he said well it must be the weather. yeah OK he lives in michigan too. The bird shipped a day. So I don't buy that. He's not geting feedback from me either. I will keep the hen and work with her if I can. I am not sending he rback to him if he's not going to care of her, or the problem. He'd resell or kill her if I did send her back. Her feet are also really dirty. We both(guy with angels) noticed that he had relisted the same cock bird he had sold last week as show quality. Gee I wonder why.

Also what typ eof oil? I remember putting motor oil on my chickens. Wasn't sure if it was safe for pigeons.

If I don't have sweet oil in the house, I just use olive oil. Vaseline does work well.

Yikes. I hate it when people do that when selling their birds. Especially when you KNOW it isn't show quality, and you see it go from just a bird, so a show champ within a few weeks of the listings
roll.png
The long toenails could be the reason for the curled toes. Sometimes birds just carry the gene for long toenails, since they don't grow all the time like parakeets. Also a good chance the bird is just deformed. Trimming down the nails may help, I hope
smile.png

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question on foot issue topics as well.....

One of my modenas I just recently got, which is 5 years old, has calloused feet...bottoms of its feet and toes are just thick and calloused.... Not sore, infected, etc.

Is there anything that can be done for that, or is it just how it's gonna be?

Quote:
I noticed ever since I questioned him about this bird, some of hislistins went from show quality, to 'good quality.' Can't find much on the net on it ieither other then next box injuries. He gave excuses, and didn't offer a refund. The other seller I am getting the archangels from says he knows a giant hungarian house breeder in texas, and is going to try and find his infor for me. He also has texas pioneers.

I do know this hen was taken to a show recently. I orginally emailed the seller when he was selling with another bird as pair. He said he was taking them to some show near detroit to sell. I bet you anything he hasn't had either one for long. So I hope this is just a next box injury, and not something genetic.

Ok here are some pictures of the new bird, and her foot.

newpigeon003.jpg

newpigeon004.jpg

I am being told that a true house pigeon will have 12-16 tail feathers. I counted ten on her. She could be missing a couple. my other three birds have at least twelve on them.

Hmmm. I wonder if the original seller, kept his birds in cages with all wire floors? Without a perch or anything, to get off of it. I know standing on wire all the time can be hard on a bird's feet. That could have caused the callouses. That would could also explain the long toenails, since having at least some wood to walk and perch on, does help keep those nails under control. But again, that's also a gene, so it's very likely it would have happened anyway. One thing that comes to mind that may help both of your birds, is udder butter. I know you can find that at TSC, and I've used it on my chickens before when their little feet were really dry. We also use it for our own dry skin problems sometimes. Good stuff. Couldn't hurt to try
smile.png

I'll look and see if I can find some more info on the subject. Surely someone else has had this issue with their pigeons before.

Back
Top Bottom