New pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by JulieNKC, Sep 15, 2012.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    After having ducks, geese, turkeys, and chickens I figured pigeons were the next logical step. [​IMG] So I picked up this pair (most likely 2 girls or 2 boys knowing me) at a swap today. They are inside, since their pen isn't quite all the way done yet, oops. The cage they are in is 2' x 3' x 4' or so, is that big enough for the 2 of them for a few weeks? They have scratch/gamebird grower/wild bird seed for food, anything different they should be given? They also have a dish of oyster shell and grit. I was told they are west of englands, does that look right? Any idea on the colors? Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hookedonpigeons

hookedonpigeons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Rural Hall, NC
    Yes, they are west of england tumblers. I would feed them a mix of wild bird food and game birds pellets for now. Looks like a red grizzle and a blue grizzle. If you decide to start breeding pigeons I would buy a premix pigeon feed. If you have any more ?s just let us know. I am sure one of us BYCERS can help you.

Thanks

3. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Thanks! Where would I get pigeon food? I haven't ever seen any that I know of. Not wanting to breed though, at least not for awhile. I figured I'd just get a couple, and if I like them go from there. Have tons more to learn before I go any further. [​IMG]

4. hookedonpigeons

hookedonpigeons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Rural Hall, NC
    I get mine from my local feed mill. It has 3 types of peas,pop corn,wheat,buck wheat,oats,red millo,millet and sallflower. It is $19.00 a 50 lb bag.

Thanks

5. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    You birds have plenty of space. i think they're fine

6. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Whenever they get close to each other the blue one starts making a growling sound and the white/red one starts cooing loud. The white/red one will also pick at the darker one to move away. Does this mean I picked out a pair maybe? Will they keep fighting or get along eventually?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by