New piglet won't eat.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wdeployedwife1, Jun 25, 2011.

1. wdeployedwife1

wdeployedwife1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    Hello everyone1 I am the new owner of a 7-week-old pot bellied piglet. I understand this little guy is nervous in his new home, but all he has done so far is drink, and I am concerned. I just got him today, so I am taking him to the vet Monday for a checkup. Will he be alright? Any advice would be great!

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    It's good that he's drinking. Change is really hard on them and it could be the stress of a new environment but more info would be helpful. How many days prior to you receiving him was he fully weaned, and did the breeder send feed and care instructions home with him so he's kept on the same feed & routine he's used to? Was feed changed at all, and is he in a warm, small, confined area without free run or free access to large spaces or other animals, what type of housing, etc? Was he vaccinated recently and was he otherwise healthy? It's good he'll be vet checked, yet can the breeder be contacted before that for info specific to him or for more care info if they didn't provide it initially? Hopefully someone will come along that can be of more help. [​IMG]

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    The piglet is really young still and I would offer him a milky mash. They need to learn how to eat and once they do they won't stop eating. The mash is good make it real soupy at first the piglet will slurp it up and then thicken it and cut back on the add in as he gets older and the hang of it. I would do several small feedings though. Do you have goat milk? Maybe try any of the following mixed with milk and feed, bread, mash potatoes, oatmeal, corn meal, yogurt etc. Adding this is to try and get him to like the taste of something other then straight feed. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

4. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I agree !!!! I was going to suggest some warmed milk to drink or the mash mix. [​IMG]

5. wdeployedwife1

Dec 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    Hello everyone! Unfortunately, the people we got him from probably weren't the best people to go through to get a pig. They're nice people, but they don't put that type of care into their pigs from what I gathered. I actually called the lady we got him from yesterday, and I told her what was going on. She said that he probably had his fill of food. She said they only eat about a handful a day (wasn't quite sure about that). She actually offered to swap pigs, but I just couldn't. The way I figure it, he would've ended right back at the flea market. (yep, the truth's out. lol) I pretty much am certain of it. I would've been doing our little baby a major disservice. I told her we'll make him right but thanks anyway. I know he is 7 weeks old and that he is on the same feed that he was on. They also said he was weaned. (Not sure if I believe that one.) I did educate myself somewhat on getting a pig and was planning on waiting, but what can I say, I'm a sucker. He's part of the family now, and once an animal is part of the family, well...that's it! I felt like I was rescuing him. I called the vet this morning, and he told me to give a little warm milk and some Karo syrup to help perk him up. He said he very well could be stressed out and to just give him some time. We are all so attached to this little guy. The whole family has been taking turns taking care of his needs. I appreciate the advice guys. I pray his exam goes well and maybe it's just stress.

6. wdeployedwife1

Dec 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    Quote:It would have helped I guess to answer all of these to better help myself, huh? lol
    Not sure how long he was weaned for.
    No care instructions. (I think I have that covered.)
    No feed routine. (I don't think he's on a schedule.)
    He has a confined space in the bathroom away from everyone, including our dogs, but he is used to dogs.
    He sleeps in a dog bed with a blanky.
    No vaccinations.
    No deworming.

Okay. sorry about that. I answered a couple of these in my last post, but I thought I should answer the rest. I need any help I can get little Thomas! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by