New Pinto Mini (PICS)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ~*Sweet Cheeks*~, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Hey all -
    Today I adopted Misty, a very sweet little 10 yr old pinto mini. My hope is my two nubians will bond with her and be more comfortable going up to the upper pasture without me having to tag along.

I must admit I don't know much about mini's. I'll be up all night reading everything I can get my hands on.

Something curious about the registration papers. The lady I got her from said she sold Misty to a gal who couldn't keep her and she ended up getting her back. The lady never registered Misty.

The registration papers was completed by the seller 7/26/08. Buyer never completed her portion. What do I need to do now 3 yrs later?

Pinto Horse Association of America - Certificate # 134609M - Wolfacres Mystical Fantasy - Foal Date: 5/1/03 (That makes her 8 yrs old and not 10 as stated by the lady).

Stamped 'Duplicate Certificate Subject to Cancellation'

What good is Pinto Horse Association registration anyway? Isn't is just based on color rather then breed?

Pictures taken after I spent an hour brushing her and before I got back out with the camera, she rolled. She has a few patches of hair missing from the other mini's she was in with biting her for getting too close to the hay. I was happy to take her away from those meanies and bring her to my house where she can be the princess.

Tomorrow, I plan to take the wrap off her tail to see how long it is.

[​IMG]

Her back hips protrude a little and she doesn't seem to have much muscle/padding on her back side. But she has the big belly. Does she need to put weight on or exercise her to put on muscle?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    congrats!! she is a cutie!! im not sure about the registration, contact the registry .

she is a bit thin, she has a belly its likley that she is wormy. she is not fat!! she could see to use about 30-50lbs..

we raise minis if you have any questions, feel free to pm me!!

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Congrats on your new mini! Be warned, though, that minis are like potato chips - one is never enough!

I agree with shadowpaints, she is slightly underweight, and most likely has a belly full of worms. A good dose of wormer would probably do her more good than anything else you could do for her right now.

As to her registration - what's the point? As you gathered, Pinto registration just recognises the fact that she is a spotted horse. If you wanted to show her, it would allow you to show her at Pinto shows. This is not the same thing as being registered with the American Miniature Horse Registry, or the American Miniature Horse Association, which are the only registries with widespread recognition. My guess is that the AMHA or AMHR registration of one of her parents or grandparents was lost somewhere along the way (happens all the time, one little glitch in the paper trail, and the registration goes bye-bye), and this horse's breeder got Pinto registration just so she could say she had a registered mini. As far as value is concerned, what you have is effectively an unregistered mini. She's still cute, she's still lovable, and I hope you enjoy her very much!

4. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

She is so cute.....

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Thank you all -

I picked up some Ivermectin at the feed store and come home and read the below post about not giving Ivermectin the first time. Now I don't know what to do???

What if I give smaller doses? I don't even know if this little mini has worms other then the big tummy. I scooped her poo and didn't see any visible worms.

What do you all recommend? Give the Ivermectin or go back to the feed store and buy something else or gather a sample of poo and take it to the vet to get checked?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402878

6. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

The Ivermectin should be fine. Just give her the amount suggested for her weight because she is so small. I would wait a week or so on worming her. Allow her body to adjust to her new diet and for her to adjust to her new home. I never worm a new horse until I feel that they have adjusted well. Just what I do and has worked well for me!
    Have fun.

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    She is darling, congratulations! [​IMG] I'm sure you'll give her lots of love.

8. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    She is very cute!!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    So cute and I used to raise AMHA and AMHR mini horses. Got out of it because of too much politicals and the market was not so good and needed a new truck when my car was on its last legs.

10. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Did you get her tail unwrapped? I would love to see photos of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by