New Polish Hens and integrating with existing flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunflower01, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Sunflower01

Sunflower01 In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    Just purchased two polish hens about 6 mo. old and were going to put with 6 Bovan hens we have had for about 2 weeks. Built new hen house and enclosed run for arrival of Bovan hens. Took about two months. The bovan henns peck and peck at the Polish and are very nasty to them.. The Polish are very sweet and docile birds and will not fight back. Did not do enough research on the Polish. They are too sweet to get rid of so it looks like we will be dividing the chicken house and run to accomidate everyone. Oh Boy and I thought we were finished building. Anyone have any experience with the Gold Laced Polish hens???

2. cwahlers

cwahlers In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Im in the same boat as you accept one of the polish hens turned out to be a rooster.
    I really dont know what to do with them because I have another young rooster.
    I guess im going to keep them seperated from the flock.

Keep in touch, ill let you know how things are going.

3. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Songster

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I had the opposite problem, my gold laced Polish Hen was nasty to a new splash Silkey, and a cochin. I did all the stuff with small cage in the coop, and weeks of seperate coops right next together. With Free ranging together, and coops seperated by a fence all the tricks suggested in former posts, little luck. Finally I isolated the mean buff polish hen in the seperate cage till she lost some status, with the new girls with the other old chickens. She is back now as dominant hen, and in charge, but in charge, not mean. So try moving the mean one out for awhile.

4. Sunflower01

Sunflower01 In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    It seems that all 6 of the Bovan hens were attacking the 2 polish hens. I realize some of it is norman but my husband said they all were repeatedly attacking them. So I think I would rather be safe than sorry. Tonigh I will be splitting the coop and run into two sections. one for the Mean old Bovans and one for the Gold-laced polish.

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I agree, could you isolate the one(s) that are being cruel to the polish?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: