New Post: Jody, Angie, everyone.. help my 2nd hatch do better

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, Apr 3, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    ok, so some of you have been following my first hatch of this year. It didn't turn out well. As of now, I have 12.5 chicks. 11.5 of 15 blue laced reds, 1 of 2 silver phenoix, 0 of 3 marans, and 0 of 6 cayuga ducks. so less than 50% of what went in day 18.

I'm worried, because I have another hatch due one week from today that includes Angie's orp eggs.

I need to find out what went wrong with this hatch, so I can save that one.

Jody, you mentioned that I couldnt be sure about the humidity issues unless I opened the eggs. But what do I look for when I open the eggs? I opened a duck egg last night that had pipped 3 days beflore. The duck was dead. It was fully formed and pipped into the air sac, and one little pip into the shell, but was still all balled up in the shell...just it's little bill was in the air sac.

Temperatures have been constant in the genesis, humidty not quite so constant, as it seems to dry out much quicker with the genesis than with the still air I was used to.

I still have all the eggs from this hatch that I can open to see whats wrong, but I need to know what I am looking for.

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to improve this next hatch, please let me know.

Thanks s very much.

Angela

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by