New poster from SW Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Yeppiecup, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Yeppiecup

Yeppiecup Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    After moving from a house with a postage stamp size yard to a house on 3/4 acres a few months ago, we decided it was high time to try raising some chickens for egg production. So here we are, joining the growing number of urban chicken owners. Thank God for Google, or I'd be completely lost!

We purchased 4 pullets three days ago, one each of: Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Pencil Laced Barred Rock, and an Ameraucana. We have a smallish coop that we plan on expanding out and building a large run off the side of it so they have room to roam. Hopefully that will be done this weekend. My worry right now are raccoons and coyotes, both of which we have seen in our yard on occasion. Any tips on keeping out predators will be welcome!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, make sure you use hardware cloth rather than chicken wire especially with the predators you've seen already. Hardware cloth is actually super strong mesh wire. Double and triple check your coop for access points and make sure you lock them in the coop at night! Good luck.

3. Yeppiecup

Yeppiecup Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    Thank you!

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Have fun building your nice strong coop and run

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills.

I forked out the money to buy several "Nite Eyes" units, which charge during the day and flash two red LEDs all night long. I've got four set up on or near the coop and several more placed on my property's perimeter fence. I tested these when I first got chickens in another location FULL of raccoons which got to my Koi pond every single night. Pond was next to the chicken run back then... The night the first units were set on the run perimeter, no raccoon depredation even in the pond. I swear by 'em, and they work up here where there are larger predators, too.

I've got just under two thirds of an acre. Deer, foxes, 'coons, opossum, and a young bear have all been seen passing by my property. I have to worry about aerial attacks and other daytime predators like stray dogs and the darned next door neighbor's cat because I do let my flock range freely over the whole property.

That cat stays away, now - any time it's seen walking by, the two geese alert and all the ducks quack like mad until it's out of sight. The roosters crow and the younger pullets hunker down in bushes. It has taken to walking on the OTHER side of the street unstead of slinking along the fence line, so fewer hens dash under cover, but they do freeze in place until the roosters call all clear.

You are so gonna love your chickens!

1 person likes this.
  7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, yeppiecup, and [​IMG]! Happy you found BYC!! I agree with all three posters above: hardware cloth, a strong coop and Nite Eyes are money and time well spent. And not just for the safety of the chickens, but for the peace of mind you get knowing they are safe outside! Good luck to you and enjoy your flock of four!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home and your entrance into the world of poultry keeping. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by