New Poultry Mama and Proud of It!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by atower2, Jun 21, 2016.

1. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Had chickens when I was just a wee girl on the farm and starting anew 20 years later LOL , and have seemed to go full throttle in over 4 months.

My Family consists of:
    Wonderful Husband of 25 years (but don't tell him that)
    2 wonderful full grown kids
    1 awesome Granddaughter
    2 sister mutts lab/terrier mix
    2 tabby cats
    22 Coturnix Quail
    7 Bantams mixed
    3 Amerucanas
    24 Golden Comets
    9 Indian Runner Ducklings
    1 Blue Swedish Duckling with 4 hatching soon

I found BYC about 6 months ago when I started thinking about becoming a Poultry Mama again. Have been finding all kinds of useful tidbits from you guys/gals.

This is my hobby and enjoyment. Hopefully it could even expand further if all goes well.

Trying to raise all in harmony together and so far it's been excellent. Since all were raised together there has been no pecking issue and all sleep, eat, cuddle together (even some of the chickens and quail gave the water a go but learned quick that they are not waterfowl) and ducks think it's unfair that chickens get a roost.

All should be able to free range in a month.

It's nice to meet all of you and hopefully I can help as well as time goes by.

2. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Sorry all, didn't think the other took as we had a power outage.

better to ask forgiveness instead of permission I guess LOL

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may also like to post on the "Other Backyard Poultry" forum which includes ducks, quail, geese, guineas etc.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard! I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

All the best
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

You have one big happy family! Sounds great!!

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Atower2, welcome to BYC! You must be very busy with all those animals to look after. Aren't chickens just great? They make such interesting pets, I can't wait to get mine. Anyway, make yourself at home - I'm sure you're going to love it here. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  7. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey @atower2 I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC!

Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates

If you ever plan on getting chicks or hatching your own follow these links and that is the place to go https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

All the best of luck to you and your flock! Make sure you keep asking questions as you wish!
    Justin [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Thank all of you for a warm welcome!

@Cynthia12,It seems that the mixed flock is working wonderfully. Think that is because I kept them in clear plastic totes for brooders so the could all see each other. It helped when I joined them all together. Also giving the Quail almost 2 weeks advance to grow so they were chick size helped eliminated any bullying I believe.

@Lsky, All of my beautiful birds are awesome and all have different personalities and love being sung to.

@Jucodeo ,Thank you for all the links and I've already started hatching my own all the Quail, the 7 bantams, 3 Amerucanas (spelling wrong I know), the Blue Swedish Duck (this is a guess not for sure on breed) and four more duckling due to hatch on this Friday.
    The Quail gave me a great learning curve working my Hova bator.

Hopefully will have pics to show soon. Just got to get them onto my desktop.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  10. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

You sing to your animals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by