New poultry parent needing advise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DixieMomma, Jun 14, 2008.

1. DixieMomma

DixieMomma New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    Finger, TN
    We started with our chicks three weeks ago. We have been bath tub brooding, turned our large garden tub into a brooder. Now the chicks are getting to the point where they are able to almost fly out. When can we move them to their coop outside?

Also we have found some of them with bald patches and two with bald tails, what is happening to our peeps? At first we thiought our cat got into the bathroom some how but we are not sure.[​IMG]

We have been reading others posts to help us out and this site has been a great help to us "NEW" parents.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If they're getting crowded in the brooder they may be feather picking.

I've got some 3 week olds in an outside pen with a light I turn on at night. It's in the 90s or high 80 during the day here. As long as they have a dry place they should be fine.

3. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I have my little ones outside during the day and bring them in at night. And we were getting the too close for comfort syndrome of picking on each other. they are fine now with more space

4. DixieMomma

DixieMomma New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    Finger, TN
    How do your chicks hadle the thunderstorms? Here in TN we get some pretty good whompers, will they hid int the coop during the storms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by