New poultryperson

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ThistleHouse, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ThistleHouse

ThistleHouse New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    A few years ago, I raised some wild turkey eggs encountered in my front yard. It was a fun experience for my son.

A few months ago, my mother (whom I hadn't seen in 20 years...) gave me a bantam leghorn hen she had rescued. I named her Mrs. Thistlebottom. A couple of months later, I obtained a frizzle rooster, whom I named Randy.

Her clutch (11 eggs, though three candled as infertile a week ago) is hatching out - the first one hatched out last night at 8pm, the next at 5am this morning. Both parents were white, red combed. First chick is pale yellow (expected to be white at maturity), second is _black_, with some yellow tufts on the sides of the head and tips of the wings. I eagerly await the other hatchings to see if I have a distribution of the same colourations and if those eventually prove to be sex linked. First chick weighed in at 20 g, second - which was the runt egg, at just 13.6 g. The empty shell for the runt one was 2.75 g by itself.

I constructed a small coop when I'd gotten the rooster - a loft, nesting boxes, enclosed run, and a couple of roosting bars. When the hen's clutch neared its hatch date, I moved her into a freshly sanitized brooding cage in the barn (er, quite technically, an actual chicken coop - a 20x110 foot structure <g>). I live in unincorporated area around Petaluma, CA -- the home of the invention of the egg incubator, and one-time Egg Basket of the World.

About six weeks ago, I picked up three month+ old chicks: a Rhode Island Red, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and a Gold Sex Links. Last week, while out picking up a bag of feed, I spotted a 6mo Buff Silkie rooster that I wanted to breed (I think that'd look wild crossed with a Silver Laced with Frizzle) . These are all residing out in the coop.

Sadly, three nights ago, a fox got Randy - I couldn't coop him with the juveniles because he was so, well, Randy.

Earlier in the week, I posted to my local CraigsList looking for a Merek's vaccine dosage to splt. One person replied, indicating that perhaps I come looking here - though by that time, I'd already sourced a 1K dosing from my local feed & grain (Hunt & Behrens) yesterday afternoon in preparation for the hatching.

I'm honestly not one for web forums - I follow email much better, and having to actively go out to a site to troll around for new posts takes too much time, so there's a good chance I won't follow up on something here for a few days at a pop. If it seems like I'm ignoring someone's posts, it's probably just that I haven't been on to see them, or can't draft a reply via the webforum in my fragments of available time.

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well I just wanted to say welcome.[​IMG] whether you are a forum type or not this place is addicting. Better watch us, we have you getting more and more birds in no time. [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of knowledge you will find here. All you have to do is ask. [​IMG]

4. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Even tho you might not hang out here much you will find a lot of info here to help you out. You might surprise yourself and find you're on here more than you thought. [​IMG] from Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by