1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New poults? What are they and what's this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by his4ever, Jul 5, 2011.

1. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Greetings!

Some friends of mine are preparing to move so they decided that now was not the time for them to raise chickens. I gladly took the dears. Right now they are temorarly in the brooder to keep them separated from the other chickens, and with how old they are they will need to move out soon!

I am noticing now that one of them may have a problem. Any ideas? Also, what do you think they are?

Thanks!

What am I?
    [​IMG]

Pictures of the problem chicken
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    They look either air or production reds i think the skin problem could be mites or lice infestation i wouldn't put them with the others till its gone and keep hygiene to stop it spreading to the others [​IMG]

3. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I was wondering if it was mites or lice. The place where they were staying did not have any dirt or dust for them to play in. [​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to get this under control?

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I sprinkle diamatious earth (might have spelled it wrong) in the dust baths to prevent it, however this looks too far gone and some sort of medicinal powder:) would be best I'm not sure what you have as I'm in the UK maybe worth asking others where to get it

5. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    They look a lot like my production red pullet. As for their skin condition. I have no idea. Poor chickens. [​IMG]

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks to me like they are pecking each other. If you do see evidence of an infestation (bugs, eggs, ect), spray them with some flea and tick spray. Good luck!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They could be Rhode Island Red or Production Red pullets. It looks to me like the bird has been pecked on. If it is some type of infestation you can use seven dust on her too.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/sevindust.html

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:x 2 Right on again cmom [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by