new poults with chicks and potential blackhead

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Msbear, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I didn't want to hijack another person's thread.

I bought 1 month old poults at a swap last weekend. They appeared healthy and I tossed them in with some juvenile chicks around the same age. I noticed the other chicks were kind of bossing around some of the poults.. keeping them from the food but, thought they had worked it out.

Today, I noticed the yellow poo. I see the tails of some of the poults look like they are tinged yellow on the tips as well. They were eager to eat and drink when I fed this morning but, the poo is concerning.

I picked them up and they felt a bit light and I noticed peck marks on the tops of the beaks...

SO... it could be blackhead from the previous farm as they are now indoors with a concrete floor with other birds that were not outside and it's been really dry here. OR, they could be in starvation mode.

I separated them tonight and will offer more feed to them. I am ordering the flagyl (I'd like to have it on hand regardless) and was thinking of starting them on the goat wormer until that gets here in 3-4 business days. what do you guys think? ..anything else I should do?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Could it just be that they have eaten like they should? Sounds like they were bullied and weren't allowed to eat. Glad that you separated them. What % protein feed are they on? They need more protein than a chicken. Perhaps once they get some high protein feed in them, they will be ok.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Im starting to think that's what it is. I have them on gamebird starter.. I use that for my chicks. I put in a couple of the smallest juvies in with them last night and even they pecked at them. I can't believe I missed this..

I'll keep y'all posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by