New Problem don't know what to do!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lacrystol, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have a silkie, her neck seems swelled, she keeps it in an S shape, She won't eat regular food so I have to soften it up. Then she sort of drags her beak in the food but it able to eat. Her crop is empty because I think all the food is going into her neck it's not going down. She's either going to sufficate or die of starvation unless someone has a solution... i have been given her antibotics, polyisol and a spray of oxine for the runny nose. Not sure what more to do, does anyone have a suggestion? It's not wry neck, I have had my experience with that, this is something totally different and I have never had a dealing with this... Please helpppp

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I really wish folks would fill out the sticky, so we have more information.

Given how little information is provided, I'd recommend providing palliative care - heat lamp, sweetened water and warm crumbles.

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well, im not quite sure, and if this isn't ant help, at least it will act as a bump!
    Try massaging is a little. That should help.

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I'm not sure what other information you want but there's not a whole lot more, poop is normal. Eyes are normal, everything else is normal, this all occurred when i had accidently overdozed my chickens with antibotics. I have her under a heating lamp, I have been feeding with warm mushy food, I have also tried to massage her but she peeps as if it hurts really bad... i was giving her antibotics because i was told she has a sinus infection, she kept making bubbles out of her nose..

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Maybe make her food more runny so it doesn't stick?

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hmmm. Well keep an eye on her. I think massaging would help, but if it hurts, it probably wouldn't hellp. Maybe try one more time very gently.
    Keep us posted! Good luck, hope she gets better! [​IMG]

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I can do that but what should or could I do about her neck being so swelled?

8. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    You could try puting an ice pack or hot pad on it. She probably won't let you though. You should massage though because if the food is stuck in the neck, it needs to get through.
    Also, about the swellling, does it seem to be a skin problem or something inside the neck?

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:Her neck is terrible stiff in the "s" shape, I tried to massage it but she acts as though shes in a lot of pain She starts to wiggle and peeps loudly, wiggles to try and get away, as if to say, DON"T DO THAT... I'm not sure if it's a skin problem or not I will get pictures so you can see what I'm talking about..

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok forget the massaging then! Try putting something warm on her neck. Like a warm towel. A little moist too. Just wrap her neck in it. If she dosen't let you do it, don't panic and let me know! [​IMG]
    Oh and yes, pics would be great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by