1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new project question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ameraucanacrazy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i was wondering if i cross a blue male over a fawn and white female

what color would i get

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    What breeds? Do you know what colors are under it? My Fawn and white runner drake crossed with my blue fawn buff cross female gave me a light blue colored duckling and a buff colored duckling. Im not really good with genetics though

3. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i dont know what you are talking about when you say under color

4. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Blue's recessive, which means there has to be two copies of the gene for it to be expressed - that is, for the duck to actually be blue. The under color is whatever color the blue is covering up. That's why it's helpful to know what breeds we're talking about. [​IMG] Though that makes me wonder... are there any blue ducks whose blue isn't covering black? And is black dominant the way it is in dogs? I'm great with dog coat color genetics, but would have to slog through the genetics discussions here to see what's what with waterfowl. Maybe I should instead of posting. LOL

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I really wouldn't recommend that cross if you are trying to get any of the standard colors. You would have too many things going on genetically and would end up with a lot of mismarked birds. Blue in ducks is incompletely dominant. The Fawn and White is homozygous for blue (two copies) and the Blue is heterozygous for blue (one copy). All of the offspring will have at least one blue dilution gene (and show it because it is incompletely dominant). They should be 50-50 heterozygous to homozygous. The Fawn and White also carries dusky, sex-linked brown, and Runner pattern (homozygous). The Blue also carries extended black (in homozygous as well). As is the case with blue dilution- extended black and Runner pattern are also incompletely dominant.

It is very hard to cross the Runner pattern (Fawn and White, Penciled, etc...) with anything else and get decent looking birds and also to cross extended black (Black, Blue, Chocolate, etc...) birds with other colors and get decent looking birds. The sex-linked brown should not show in any of the first generation birds since it is the female that is Fawn and White (unless the Blue has it in its background in the form of Chocolate). The Black, Blue, and Runner pattern will show to some extent. Some depends also on what the Blue bird is carrying under the extended black, but you should end up with offspring that have excessive white on the heads, necks, and wings, some amount of blue overall, and probably some with showing all the preceding colors on Grey (Mallard) and/or Dusky.

As you can see, you will get quite a mix. If you breed enough offspring to cull and selectively pair a lot of the first and second generation together though, you could potentially breed several colors. It would just be a very long road filled with lots of mismarked birds.

6. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    thank you all for the help:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by