1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Proud Silkie Mommy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1HappyFamily, Apr 8, 2011.

1. 1HappyFamily

1HappyFamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    3 days ago I made one of my life long dreams a reality & drove the 130 mile round trip to pick up 5 wonderful silkies! I have 2 white, 2 black, & 1 blue~ They have been doing just beautifully & I am looking to get as much education as possible so that I can make their lives as enjoyable as possible. We so far have invested in what we were told by our local "chicken expert" was the best medicated feed for them & they are doing fantastic... I am looking for any helpful tips etc on caring, raising, etc. Thank you so much in advance [​IMG] I'm sorry if there is any mistake in how this posts as this is my first time on anything like this [​IMG]

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    There isn't any big secret to raising them. You just need to sit back and enjoy the breed. They are different in many ways from other breeds.

Once you get a handle on using the board, pictures are always welcomed.

3. 1HappyFamily

1HappyFamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Thank you so much robin416! We are thoroughly enjoying them already! Today I took their photos when they got to touch the grass for the first time [​IMG] hopefully I can learn to post pictures on here they are absolutely wonderful! The weather here in TN has been beautiful this afternoon so it was perfect to let them roam a bit before going back in & under their lamp [​IMG]

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    LOL I know all about how wonderful the weather was in TN since I live there too.

If you want to post pics you can upload them to a site like photobucket. Then the image can be copied and posted here. I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet and it is indepth enough I probably shouldn't wander there until I'm more awake.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by