new pullet has scaly flaky backsides

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by briggate, Sep 16, 2011.

1. briggate

briggate Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Rusk Texas
    just bought some 13wk old pullets. They'd been in with some young turkeys and about 100 other pullets, and one of them has lost all its feathers along the center of its back. The skin is flaking but does not look infected, i.e. there are no open wounds and nothing is oozing. But I haven't ever had chicks that were around roos before so dont' know if I need to treat the area. Have some medicated spray from my vet for the dogs that helps 'heal' sore muscles and scrapes/bruises, but don't know if I can use it on chickens or not. Should I leave it alone or treat it, and if so, what can I treat it with?

2. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi briggate,

I know that some people buy sadles for their defeathered hens when a roo has been a little too agressive or they have an injury. Also, I have read alot of posts from people who use tape that will eventually fall off on its own. Here is an article regarding the tape:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-6/Joyce_Dixon.html

Chickens naturally have flaky skin, so I think what you may be seeing is normal.

hope this helps!

3. briggate

briggate Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Rusk Texas
    Interesting about the tape! I may not need to try that since they are now away from the roos, and quarantined for about a month before I move them in with the rest of my birds. but it sounds like I need do nothing but wait for the feathers to grow back. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by