New pullet is pooping blood, but otherwise she seems fine...

Chido

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
El Monte
We got a 8 week old white leghorn pullet a few days ago, and we have her in a cage inside the house until she grows big enough to be outside with the flock. We got her on Thursday and since yesterday she's been having normal poop and bloody poop. The blood is not always present, but I just saw her take a dump with a rather large amount of blood on it. I thought it might be coccidiosis because I've read the symptoms and blood in stool is one of them, but the pullet is alert and eats very well. I don't know what could be causing the blood, but when my brother-in-law called the feed store he got the pullet from, he was told they have given their chickens some stuff that is causing the bloody stool, but that will go away in a few days. This is the first time we have chickens, so I'm not familiar with the diseases they can get and their symptoms, but does that explanation make sense?

She was also given some scratch yesterday, but I told my nieces to stop giving her that and stick to the starter/grower crumbles because I don't think the pullet has had access to grit yet. Whatever she ate yesterday could be harming her insides, but I haven't seen her poop any big chunks of undigested food, her poop actually looks ok half of the time as she doesn't always poop blood.

The pullet is doing great! She stopped pooing blood like a day after I posted this thread, and she's so cute and cuddly now :3. Now I wish my barred rock would get better...
sad.png

Last edited:
Does the chick starter have amprollium in it? That story that the feed store gave doesnt make sense. Call the store and try and get an answer that makes sense or,,,I would treat with corrid or amprollium (same thing dif name) for cocci anyway. Then probiotics for 10 days afterward the cocci treatment. If they have cocci for a long time the blood symptom can go away but the still have disease. Can/will die eventually.

Does the chick feel solid and well fed? Or limpish and small?

Are the feathers flat or do they fluff out?

How is she acting?

Last edited:
The pullet is fine now and pooping normal poop like a champ, but I think they people at this feed store are idiots. The barred rock hen we have came from that store, well kinda. A lady surrendered her chickens on the same day I was buying feed, and we bought the barred rock because my brother-in-law liked her, so she didn't really spend time there. Now that the poor thing is so sick, the guy in the store told my BiL, after he took the hen for them too look at, that the hen is going through a molt and that if she's wheezing and gasping and coughing it's because she doesn't drink enough water and the pellets she eats probably got stuck in her throat. That's Drat!, but I guess I can't expect much from a feed store employee...

Back
Top Bottom