New pullet, lock in coop or free range with others?

beccawchick

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
We got a new pullet today, about 3 months old. All our pullets are 3 month old bantam cochins.
I have new girl locked in the coop/small run so she knows where "home" is. However, the rest of my girls are out free ranging all day.
I worry about new girl being alone all day. If I let her free range, will she follow my existing girls who already know to come in at night?
What should I do?

If you can keep an eye on her and get her before bedtime I'd let her free range a bit. Does she get along well with the other chickens? I'm thinking since their so young they should be ok together without much fighting

I should add - new girl was 100% free range at her last place. I don't even know that she slept in a coop. Probably in a tree.

Interesting... Hm. Then maybe it would be best to keep her in the coop for a couple days just so she knows it's home. Do you have an enclosed run? Maybe she can go there for a little bit? A couple days alone isn't going to hurt her. We've kept sick chickens alone longer during recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccawchick

We got a new pullet today, about 3 months old. All our pullets are 3 month old bantam cochins.
I have new girl locked in the coop/small run so she knows where "home" is. However, the rest of my girls are out free ranging all day.
I worry about new girl being alone all day. If I let her free range, will she follow my existing girls who already know to come in at night?
What should I do?
I'd leave her in the coop/run for a few days to 'home' her to the coop.
But.....
what will you do at night when the others come in to roost?
They will not like this intruder in their territory.

I was there to supervise when the other 2 came back to roost. Thankfully/surprisingly they accepted her right away with no fights. Last time we introduced a new chicken it was quite a bunch of fighting for a couple days!

I was there to supervise when the other 2 came back to roost. Thankfully/surprisingly they accepted her right away with no fights. Last time we introduced a new chicken it was quite a bunch of fighting for a couple days!
Oh, there was only 2 others.....that might have helped, glad you had success.

Back
Top Bottom