New pullet, pecked tail feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopncottage, Nov 15, 2011.

1. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    We brought home a new pullet last week (kind of rescued her!)... She was in a large group of birds, and had been pecked to the point of being moved to a smaller group. We've never dealt with pecking issues before. She had been swabbed with Blu Kote, but appears to have a large scab in that area. I'm not sure if we should continue applying anti-peck lotion of some sort until the scab comes off on its own, or if we should leave it alone...

How do you treat birds with pecking wounds?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I use Blukote. If the wound can be disguised by the Blukote then you are OK. If the wound is still visible you may need to remove her from the flock until it heals. If she has been removed from the feather picking group then the anti-pick lotion will not be needed. If she continues to get picked in her new home then you are going to need to address the problem then.

Good luck.

3. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    Quote:Ok -- thanks. She's not been getting picked at since we brought her home, but that area that is covered by the blu kote just looks like a big (50 cent piece) scab, poor thing. I'll keep an eye on her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by