New pullet with 5 hens - one hen terribly aggressive

SNJchickens

Songster
7 Years
Dec 6, 2012
Southern New Jersey USA
My Coop
My Coop

I brought home a new pullet yesterday because she was a lone pullet on a horse/goat/turkey farm. She's a RIR. Not sure how old she is but I think 8 - 10 weeks. I have Spangled Hamburg (3) and Cochin (1) and Ameraucana (1) all over 2 years old, most are 3 years old. Only the Ameraucana is not in my avatar.

While free ranging the back yard yesterday afternoon the hens ignored the baby who found a place to rest in the begonia bed. Later my one S. Hamburg got very aggressive which started the others into a mob. If the S. Hamburg would be less aggressive I think the others would be apt to go through the "normal" peck order jousting.

Last night the baby spent the night in the inner (predator proof) run with a shelter, food and water. The hens went to bed in the coop. I knew baby would never get past SH to get into the coop. This morning I left baby in the inner run and let the others into the outer run. This blocks the laying hens from the nest boxes. I tried putting baby in the outer run with lots of places to hide (cut branches) then open the inner run but SH cornered baby and brutally pecked.

Now baby is in half the outer run which is fenced off from the hens. She has food, water and shelter but can't stay there at night because this part of the run is not predator proof.

Any comments about integration relating to this particular situation would be helpful. She is a real "people bird" looking to me for protection and comfort. I can't (!) let her down.

Pull the aggressor our and separate her for a week or so, while the new girl finds her place. Then put the SH back in and see how things go.

For me at least it is always hard to mix in new birds. I am very unhappy to read your post, I can see the little one with no one to 'hang' with and being alone. Chickens are flocking birds by nature, but if you are the new bird in town, the others can sure make it tough on the newcomer.

I admire your grit in taking in a lone bird, that is very kind and caring of you. I suppose you knew there would be a challenge to deal with. As noted above, putting the ringleader in 'time out' may help. You can also try to rearrange the coop and or run to push everyone's reset button. Sometimes that can provide enough distraction to alleviate some of the bullying. If you can mix it up for a few days, they can have time to get used to the idea there is a new bird.

I have used a dog cage to house one bird or another, and placed it in the coop, so as to acquaint one to another, without harm coming to either. I will wait a week to ten days and then try it again. Seems if they are used to the new bird it is less likely to be abused. You may find one method or a combination of several, to help you in your goal to home that new bird.

Wishing you and the new one the best,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom