New pullet won't eat much. Need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by secuono, Jan 17, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Bottom stuff no longer applies. This and the last post is now about this new White Sizzle pullet. She also doesn't really eat, thin to the point her Sternum bone shows through her skin, white. She is thin and doesn't do much.
    I've been giving her yogurt, egg and crumbles.

This bird hasn't been eating and wont eat. I picked her up after she came out with the others to greet me and stayed put, neck hidden, just standing there. Right as I picked her up, I could feel she was thin and then I felt her neck for the crop, nothing there.
    After feeding the other birds and locking them up, I brought this bird into the house.
    As soon as I set Yogurt down in front of her and the other sick bird, they both began to peck at it. I am not sure if she was eating it as food or water though, she kept pausing as if she had drank water. Gave her 3ml yogurt from a syringe[placed it in her mouth on her tongue, she swallowed it herself].
    Her color looks normal, feathers are neat, other than not eating and just standing around, nothing else off.
    Help!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The first thing I would do(if you haven't already) would be to worm them all and check them for lice/mites.
    If you can put some electrolytes in the water, that would be good, as well.

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've read that worming chickens is hard on them and even worse in winter.....

I saw a white bottle of Wazine at Farm Home Center, use that?
    I also think I saw Rooster Booster at Tractor Supply.
    What more sensitive formula is there??
    How do I know what kind of worms, if any they/she may have?

By the way, how do you treat/know you have Gapeworms?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old are your chickens?

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Around 20weeks for the birds in that picture.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You can get a product called Epernix pour-on which you put on the chickens neck on the skin right above the wings. 4 to 6 drops depending on the size of the bird. It will kill external and internal parasites. And there is no egg withdrawl, parasites will bring them down real fast. At 20 weeks they probably don't have internal parasites but could possibly have external. Just heard someone say on here the other day most chickens shouldn't have to be wormed till 1 year. Check around vent area and under their wings, mites are tiny look like tiny grains of blk pepper, lice are easier to see tannish in color and lay their eggs at the base of their feathers around vent area.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Wow, I have got to get me some of that, Miss Lydia.
    Any idea where I might find it?

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I turned off the lights and left the two of them. They hopped out and hopped into the brooder and are sleeping under the heat lamp. It is warm in that room and they are both large enough, been living outside for weeks, they do not need the heat. What do I do?

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Thank you, secuono. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by