New pullet wont eat or drink

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wjmiller, Feb 22, 2014.

1. wjmiller

wjmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    I received about a 12 or 16 week old young pullet from the mail she wont eat or drink she is sneezing. Shewas sent with others and i took only one. Any advice on how to get her to eat an drink maybe i should have left her with the others. I dont know any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It sounds like this is rather severe stress. If there is any way you can return her to the group she arrived with, I would, personally. Chickens also don't tolerate being alone very well, especially when they are accustomed to beign in a flock.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Please watch her closely for any more signs of respiratory symptoms. Things to look for would be wheezing (listen carefully to her breathing if you hear even the slightest wheeze) look for any mucus coming out of the nose or beak. Look for coughing. Watch her tail if it bobs up and down when trying to breathe she could be struggling for air. Watch her stool. What is the color and consistency? If you see any of those signs I mentioned she could have a respiratory infection. How bad is the sneezing and how often. ? To get her to eat you might try offering her some boiled egg and see if she might like that. It might help stimulate her appetite. Hope this helps.

4. wjmiller

wjmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks she is eating and drinking some now her poop is formed but she is still shaking her head sounds a little wet but no wheezing yet should i give her duramycin 10 i already have some here. Thanks

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would be concerned that she has some respiratory disease. Stress can bring on symptoms in birds who are carriers already. Keep a close eye, and ear, on her. The big question is...do you already have other birds? If so, I would not under any circumstances integrate this bird into your flock. If she does have some respiratory disease, she is likely to remain a carrier even after she recovers. With the potential of course to infect any other birds you already own.

If she is the only bird you have then it's up to you. If you get her a friend or two they may come down with this as well.

As far as treatment...I'd probably just keep an eye on her and see how she does in the next day or so. If this turns into anything more, like a cough or any wheezing then yes, give the Duramycin. I prefer Tylan 50 but if you already have the Duramycin go ahead and try that. If she does have some bug, some are viral and some are bacterial. Antibiotic's won't cure a viral disease but will help prevent pneumonia.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by