1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New pullet won't eat or drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nutmeg259, Aug 11, 2014.

1. nutmeg259

nutmeg259 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Yesterday I picked up two 14 week black giant pullets. They appeared to be living in a large horse stall with 20+ other birds. They seemed very scared when I brought them home and put them in their coop. One didn't exit the box for almost an hour. Today the same one has barely moved, she is just laying in the coop. From what I can see she hasn't ate or drank anything, even when I bring it to her. She did get up and leave the coop when I tried to offer water, and I saw her walking yesterday. I'm worried that she isn't eating or drinking. Should I try to force them to drink?

2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Maybe just scared. Is the waterer different from the one she was used too? At 14 weeks i would think they should be self efficient. Sure she will drink when she gets thirsty. Maybe the change of atmosphere and living quarters was a lot for her. May take a litttle time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by