1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New pullet won't leave coop, help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bullyforme, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Hi, I introduced a new pullet (about 10 weeks old) to my flock of two pullets (13 weeks and 9 weeks old), and although there's no fighting or squabbling, she won't come out of the coop. There is no water or food in the coop--during the summer both are affixed to the run. It's supposed to be 95 degrees and hazy humid today, I had to go to work so I can't stay home and work with her. Will she die, or will she eventually come out looking for sustenance? I'm new to chickens, and not sure how "dumb" they can be about these things. I'm so worried! My other two girls stay together at all times and are acting normally.

2. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    She'll be fine chickens are pretty smart that they won't starve themselves. Mine's were like that at first but she came around. If all else feel run her out of the coop and she go back in at night

3. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Thanks...I sure hope so! It's going to be a scorcher today [​IMG]

Before I left for work, I saw her head peeking through the coop door, with such a "human" look of trepidation on her face, so pitiful! I will chase her out tonight if she hasn't left. I thought about putting in a temporary water station in there at least (but of course didn't have that thought until *after* I got to work!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by