New pullets coming to flock -- advice please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CatJane0x0, Aug 27, 2010.

1. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    I am planning to bring home 2 or 3 pullets from a friend at my TSC store. (That is where they originally came from as you may have figured.) She wants to give them a good home and I would love to have them. I currently have 6 chickens. 4 are only about 4 months old. They are all Isa Browns except my roo which is a Light Brahma. The other two are a bit older and already laying.

Well, my question is how long to separate them? Is a couple weeks too short? When/if they are placed in finally...should I do it in evening or night hours? They are most likely about the age of my pullets. I will be giving them and all the others at her farm a good look over and wear extra shoes, too. My first batch of chicks caught a disease when I brought home 3 silkies from a woman who breeds near me, so I better use some sense. She knows how I went through that so understands my caution. I love my chickens, but don't want to be afraid to adopt some from a friend. Any advice guys?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I'm new at this myself. I think the ideal is to have them in a cage next to the run for awhile if possible, or free range with them for awhile, either one. Then you put them together at night.

We bought four new pullets to add to a larger flock of around 13 at the time with a roo. They were picked on but they had each other. They still hang tight! But they are doing okay. They hid in the coop for a couple days but I just made sure they had plenty of food and water in there and eventually they got bored. When they ventured out the other chickens chased them back in! So I just put out a flock block and other treats at the opposite end a lot for a couple days as a distraction and it seems like that helped a little. It was a little hard to watch the new ones get picked on. But they had to find their place in the flock.

3. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    I will keep them separate in a large, safe rabbit hutch not to far from them then...within eye sight of one another. After things settle and it feels right, I'll open it up with a ramp, so they can go in and out and they'd like. If there is a chase, I'll be around to make sure they don't get too carried away. Since they are younger things should go pretty fine in that area. My young roo is becoming very gentle with the ladies from what I have seen.

Wish me luck & any other advice is always a plus!

Thank you savingdogs. [​IMG]

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    They need to be completely separated for about 4 weeks before you even think about introducing them to each other. In a totally separate building is preferable.

5. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    I'll aim for a 4 weeks -- better safe than sorry! Thanks for you thoughts, Highlander. I appreciate both of you helping me out. I've got a better feeling that I'll have things set up well for them now. I'll update more if I decide to adopt them. (I hope I do!)

For the sake of possible future adoptions like this, I plan to buy or build another large coop next year.

6. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    Well, I did bring them back home with me. They are super cute! 2 EE pullets and 2 small bantam pullets. The came from TSC as did the others she had. Everyone seemed healthy on sight from all I've checked. So far, so good....

-- I will take pictures soon! I have been so busy getting them settled I forgot to get some. [​IMG]

7. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Is your Light Brahma roo a large fowl or a bantam? If he is a LF then I would hesitate putting the bantam hens in with him at all. He is probably too big for them.
    After your isolation period of 4 weeks (which is the minimum amount of time), put the new chickens next to the originals for a couple of weeks. Then, introduce them. I do this at night, so they wake up with each other in the morning.
    Good Luck,
    Dale-Ann

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  8. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    Will do -- thanks for the advice on the size matter, DA fox. This is my first Brahma - I hear they get up to 13 pounds! Those little banties might need their own pen & shelter. They are getting red combs, so I am betting I'll get an egg or two from them before too long now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  9. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    I'm sure you would have figured it out -- size matters. Good luck with everybody!
    Dale-Ann

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes.....watch you pullets with the big Brahma boy.....they do grow very big and will flatten a bantam.....to be more accurate they may well tear their back and wing bases.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by