new pullets.....free range?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kryptoniteqhs, Nov 27, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    hi there,
    I just got some new 17 week old pullets and a 3 month old cockerel. I also got some 3 month old banties. i put the new pullets with the new cockerel and my other hens, i want them to get used to each other and become a little "family" before i let them all out. so in result, all my birds are cooped up. I normally have mine free ranging, but i want to make sure that they all get close before i let them all out....i dont want the new ones taking off. my original ones never go far at all, but if they wanted to they could go 30 miles away. theyre not enclosed. the new rooster was introduced first and he was roosting with them in a couple of hours. i dont think hed take off. but, theyve been giving the new pullets a bit of a hard time. they dont really fight, but just pick on them a little. when i go in the coop, the new girls are all in a corner together, while the others are roaming around. i would guess that i should wait until i notice them eating and roosting together. but, still i want your expert opinions. also the banties are separate, but, i want to let them out. i guess i would do that separately? they have not been introduced to the others. also they are not familiar with our area, i dont want them taking off either. i feel like they need the other hens to "show them around" should i introduce them to the others for that purpose only? just supervising....that way they can be separate from the others so we dont mix breeds, but they can go out together? one of the banties is a cockerel, again, all of them are only about 2months old or so.....all of these birds are new and i have brought them home at different times throughout the last week....what should i do? i have some good ideas, but i dont know if there is a standard procedure for this or something...also, i dont want my cockerels fighting. they are both young and around the same age, but the bantie is so small and docile, i dont want him to get hurt. the rir cockerel is not mean, but hes like a little class clown and doesnt think about who hes picking on until he gets put in his place, and i dont think the bantam would "put him in his place," i think hed just get hurt....

2. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I let the originals free roam. The newbies usually hang in the run for about a week, then creep out the door into the big world. About 2 weeks later they're running with the big guys.

I don't have any experience with mixing LF and banties.

3. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks...im just afraid if i let the newbies out without the others or even later, they wont bond as much and theyll get lost or something lol.....i dont want any eaten...the few originals that i have are the left overs of what didnt wander off and get eaten last time....im trying to keep them smart lol and happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by