1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New pullets help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jdubb12, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jdubb12

jdubb12 New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    I am new to the site and new to chickens, I just got 6 hens, 3 are about 4 months old and 3 are around 7 months old. All of them get on there perch just fine but one, its one of the older ones, I have put her up there the last 3 nights (she stays there once I put her there) and tonight again she is on the floor in the corner, should I keep putting her up there or should I let her figure it out herself? On another note these hens are way more fun than my dogs!!!

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Hi and [​IMG]

I would let her get on the roost herself, it may be that she is being picked on and is trying to get away from a bully.

3. jdubb12

jdubb12 New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Actually she is the bully when she gets up there.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can she not get up there herself?
    Does she need a ramp maybe?
    Do you have enough roost length?
    They need about a foot per bird, more is better if you've got the room so they have extra space to get settled.

5. jdubb12

jdubb12 New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    All the other birds make it up there just fine, there is more than enough room on the 2 roosts. A ramp wouldn't really work with my layout, maybe a "step" extended down?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    or just something for her to jump on to shorten the jump to the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by