New pullets laying late morning..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MowNGrow, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MowNGrow

MowNGrow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    Townsville
    Is there any way to encourage my new girls to lay first thing in the morning? Our previous girls stoped laying so they moved out and the new ones moved in two weeks ago and are laying nicley. However, they are laying after we leave for the day and today the eggs have been plaid with. I don't want to be dealing with hens that eat their eggs.

I have been told by the free range farm giving them a ball to play with in the pen sometimes elimiantes their need to "play" with their eggs? That could help with the "playing" aspect but doesn't encourage them to lay early....

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hmmmm...I've never heard of being able to "adjust" a biological clock. Lord I wish we could (for myself, not my chickens!)... Maybe I'll learn something new though...

3. MowNGrow

Jan 9, 2010
    Townsville
    One of our girls children called Holley started off laying late into the afternoon. Adjusted herself to lay just before lunch then to earlier in the morning. Perhaps she will just become earlier? Emily has been doing a nice egg song and I have had a "fart" egg from her but nothing elce yet.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    WOW, I'd love to get a plaid egg. All I ever get are solid coloured ones..

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It takes a hen approximately 26 hours to produce an egg. Therefore, the egg can come at any time of the day. If it gets too late in the day for laying, most hens will skip a day and start anew the next day.
    All my hens were finished laying yesterday by 1 PM. I expect it to be closer to 2 today.

6. MowNGrow

Jan 9, 2010
    Townsville
    Neat its nice to learn all these things.

I now have both pullets laying as of today we got one egg before 8am and the other later around 530pm. Could they be any further apart from each other LOL.

Why don't they understand that eggs are usually a breakfast food [​IMG]

7. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Ours have always been all over the board.

Our first bunch that we had in the summer were better at laying all at the same time, but it was LITERALLY like clockwork, a little later each day, until they were laying at 8pm, and then they'd lay a softshell the next morning, and it would start all over with a good hard egg the next. They never skipped a day, just had soft shells. These were production cross birds-babcocks, which are a leghorn cross.

Our current flock lay all over the board. Sometimes there are 9 eggs at 7am, and other days there are no eggs until after 2 pm. There is one chook who consistently lays just before dinner.

8. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Fiona, my little OEGB mix just started laying again after brooding and raising five chicks and the first two days have been around 2 in the afternoon. Maybe she will get earlier and earlier in the day!

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:
    Any time I have one I hope that I do not have an egg too![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by