1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new pullets-one older hen-need feeding advice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickie seal, Mar 9, 2014.

1. chickie seal

chickie seal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have one 3 year old EE hen remaining. She has been on layer pellets and free access to oyster shell. I now have 5 pullets, ranging from 11 to 14 weeks. I have them separated by wire for now and they are on chick starter. I know they need the starter/grower until they're about 6 months, but I'd like to move them on into the main run with the hen before that. I've read where layer pellets can be harmful to young pullets. So when I move the young ones on in, can they all eat the grower/starter without harm? Will it hurt the pullets if they get into the oyster shell?

Appreciate any advice!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's how most people feed a mixed aged flock. The pullets will leave the oyster shell alone. Around 20 weeks you can start switching them over to layer. Mix the grower with the layer until out run out of grower.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I feed an all-in-one, similar to grower feed. I have all ages and genders, so it works best for me. I supplement with egg shells and oyster shell. The younger hens and the roosters usually taste the oyster shell and just decide it's not for them. I don't worry about them eating it, they're just not interested.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    When I had a small flock I didn't want to handle 5 different kinds of feed, so to keep it simple everybody ate the same thing, either starter or grower. The ones that needed cal got fed crunched up eggshells in addition.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by