New pullets with bloody noses - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mangobingo, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mangobingo

mangobingo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    So I've just brought home three new hens (Easter Eggers), about 10 weeks old, and they're currently living in a rather small run (about 2 x 5 ft) in quarantine before we let them out with our other birds. When we know they're good and healthy they'll be able to free range on an acre all day, but for now they're all cooped up. The first full day we had them, I was able to keep a fairly good eye on them. They spent a fair bit of time just sitting down and a bit of time scratching and pecking, but they seemed generally OK, not really listless or unsettled or anything. They seemed quite distressed at bedtime, though; I think they're used to a lot more space and freedom to choose where they roost, and they were nudging at the wire and making sad little noises before finally settling down [​IMG]

Unfortunately I came home from work yesterday evening to find them all with blood and scabs on their noses, like just above their beaks. They seemed calm enough when I got there and I don't think they're pecking each other because they all have the marks, even the more dominant one. It doesn't look too deep, but I'm kind of worried that they're going to hurt themselves or the cuts get infected. Any ideas about how they might have got these cuts? Some pathological behaviour or some kind of infection? Should I treat them with iodine or something? I've had a year's experience with 7 blissfully trouble-free chickens but I haven't had to deal with anything like this, so any advice would be very welcome...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You said they were nudging at the wire. I imagine they cut themselves on the wire. This also happens sometimes with those long metal feeders with the row of holes for them to put thei head in, especially if there are any sharp edges along the holes.

Chickens tend to peck at any bloody wound, so it is possible they have pecked each other as well. I'd try to get the blood off. If a red wound still shows, a lot of people get Blu-Kote to put on the wound, which turns it blue or purple and discourages pecking. The feed store should have it, or a generic version (it's mostly gentian violet) or another no-pick product. Or you could even try blue or purple food coloring. Good luck!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I was thinking the fencing too...I've seen some of my guys fighting through the fencing or stretching their heads and necks wayyy outside their run fencing to reach for something they think is a treat!

4. mangobingo

mangobingo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Yes, I guess the wire probably was the cause. I didn't see the injury straight away but then it was dusk by the time I went out. That sounds like good advice about the blue stuff, fortunately their little faces are looking better this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by