New puppy!! DNA test? What do you think he is? UPDATE on pg 7

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarkerChickens, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    DH brought home a new puppy!! His two upper teeth are adult teeth, the rest are puppy teeth still, so we estimate he is 3 months old (adult fangs usually come in ~4 mos old). He definitely has pit bull in him (looks a lot like our pit bull/australian shepherd mix...her parents were purebred), but he is bigger, so whatever he is mixed with, it includes a large breed! He already ways in at 28.5 lbs and his ribs are showing (he was a bit skinny when we got him). He is a really well-behaved puppy. Of course he is hyper and gets into things, but considering how many puppies can act, he is really good. He is a very quick learner too! Already getting sit, down and come pretty well! We are thinking about doing the breed DNA test to see if we can get an idea of how big he is gonna get. It is hard to see in these pics, but his paws are huge (covers most of my palm). Not to mention his size alone for a 3 mo old. Any ideas of y'all think he could be mixed with?

Here's a video that DH took of him playing with Casey the other night. You can tell she is getting worn out (She's gonna be 10 yrs old in March).

Oh..and no, DH hasn't named him yet. Feel free to throw suggestions out. He wants something strong, but not aggressive.

L-R Kenzie (Border Collie/who knows what mix), Mika (Australian Cattle Dog), Casey and the puppy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Earlier in the day, DH clipped the wings of one of our fliers that just finished her molt. When he came home, she was wondering around in the backyard. [​IMG] Our three older dogs are chicken friendly, but we were nervous about the puppy. He was a good boy! That could have been very tragic...Gabby (the EE) is one my favorite birds! He isn't staring intently at the birds in this pic. He was just looking around briefly and went back to playing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Can you post some pics of him standing that are side shots?? His head definately looks Bully or Pit-ish. If he's got two adult teeth now he's probably more like around four months old not three. His blue coloring is gorgeous! Something about that coat texture too...Looks like velvet [​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Here's two pics (one of his side profile and the other just 'cause he is cute). His ears will be full prick, though it seems they are always down in the pics. I had to wake him up from his nap, hence his big yawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I LOVE his color!!
    Those ears are awesome!! [​IMG]
    He's too cute! [​IMG]

5. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I've had a few friends do the DNA testing...not worth the money IMO.

Looks like a beautiful Pittie mix to me.

6. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Sure there isn't some blue great dane in there???

7. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:His coat is very soft. Coarse, but soft. All I see is pit bull, but I doubt we were lucky enough to find a gorgeous, purebred blue pit. It is definitely a common breed where we found him, but I still would guess that he is a mix of some sort. His paws are the same size as Casey's paws. As for teeth...I thought (no expert here!) that the 2 to front teeth were lost ~3 mos old and the fangs are the next to go at ~4 mos old. [​IMG]

8. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Size-wise, we'd believe it, but we don't see Great Dane traits. Well, not that pop out at us anyway.

Redhen, thanks!! He is such a sweetheart and really affectionate.

We took him to Petco the other day and he was all about making new friends (human and dog).

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:That's what I was going to say.

He's that pretty blue that Danes have.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Just looks pittie to me... hard to tell. I want to get the DNA testing done for my dog too, but don't know much about it... I'd like to know more if anyone has experience! Thanks! [​IMG]

ETA: He IS adorable!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by