New Puppy-Finally got a Great Pyrenees! PICS FINALLY ADDED!

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
Well, after considering it for a long time we finally got ourselves a Great Pyrenees puppy. I'll add pics soon. I just got a different laptop and need to install my camera software. Anyway, we named him Oscar. He's a handful but very smart and very loving. He's also extremely easy going and mellow, but still acts like a pup. He has fun bouncing around the yard and loves dragging toys all over the house. Anyone else have one of these dogs? Any stories or tips you'd like to pass along?

On a side note we're also thrilled to have our cat back after looking for him for almost a week. We thought he was around because he'd been sighted by a neighbor down the road. We spent a lot of time wandering the woods, and the neighbor's yard looking for the little guy. When I walked out on the porch this evening he came trotting up the steps. We think he took off because he was spooked or chased by coyotes. Hopefully our great pyr will deter the coyotes from visiting, once he grows up anyway.

Here are some pics, hopefully I rememberd how to add them. It's been a while.

12238_camera09_169.jpg

12238_camera09_168.jpg

12238_camera09_160.jpg

Last edited:
great.... where'd you get your pup? from a breeder or a rescue?

rescue's seem to have all these "rules"

and are they very barky?

and so far he's good with your chicken?

and yay! kitty's home!!!

I'll work on getting my camera sofware loaded on the new computer. Then I'll post pics of the little fluff ball.

So far he's not too barky. He does like to bark, but he doesn't do it all the time. We got him from a breeder. They were extremely nice people. They gave me a cute yellow folder that they'd decorated. Inside they had his AKC form, an information sheet, an unofficial pedigree, his first collar, and a small album of "baby" pictures. They also brought me a boquet of yellow daisies and one white rose (they own a flower shop). I plan to keep in touch with them, and keeping them updated on Oscar. We haven't had him in the coop yet (too muddy). He was interested in the chickens and wanted to go in. When the run dries out some we'll take him in, although I can't say that chickens will approve.

Mine is 9 months old- what a wonderful choice. I am having a bit of trouble with mine right now. He wants to play with the goats, and hurts them. Right now he is grounded and on restriction.

Things I have learned in 9 months:

they are puppies, but very LARGE puppies, so when they do the normal puppy stuff, its bad. Like instead of chasing a bird he chases a goat, catches it and plays.

very mellow dogs- he messes not at all with the chickens, lets the babies walk all around him

yes, they are barkers, but not without a reason

when you go to the vet, everyone will ooooooohhhhhhhh and aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

loyal to a fault

good at getting along with other dogs, not sure about cats, ours hides from the big guy

they will not bite your husband for you, no matter how much prime rib you offer

utter unbelievable wonderful balls of love and devotion.

Our Griz (RIP) was the most fantastic dog. He was raised with a deer and they loved each other. They would run and chase each other in the yard it was fun to watch. He was a perimeter dog. We have a lot of property, but about 3 acres cleared for the house. When you let him out of the house he would run the perimeter of the yard barking, then come up on the porch and lay down. You could let him in the back door, tell him he was a good boy, put him out the front door, and around he'd go again!

ha ha jenjscott... that's super funny.
tongue.png

chickyjoy said, "They were extremely nice people. They gave me a cute yellow folder that they'd decorated. Inside they had his AKC form, an information sheet, an unofficial pedigree, his first collar, and a small album of "baby" pictures. They also brought me a boquet of yellow daisies and one white rose (they own a flower shop). I plan to keep in touch with them, and keeping them updated on Oscar."

oooh that is super adorable!!! They brought you flowers???!!!! oh smoosh smoosh smoosh.... i LOVE them! Oh i hope when it's my turn I can find a loving family of breeders.... and his very first puppy collar??? aaaaaaaaw... how cute is that?!

You have been blessed indeed.
big_smile.png

hugs for the pup and kitty,
gretch

Back
Top Bottom