New Puppy has Mange

ametauss

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Shepherdsville, KY
I am soooo MAD I could scream....

I was at the local stock yard a couple of weeks ago and since DH had insisted that we needed a Great Pry. for the barn, I was looking out for one... Well, a guy there had one little boy that he swore was weaned and was about 3 or 4 wks old.

We took him home and loved on him all day, he was a bit lathargic and would not eat the same food that the guy had all day...

I ended up going to Feeders and getting some puppy supplement powder and some evaporated milk... I put that down for him and he sucked it up like mad.... He then tried to nurse off of my male dog... not a pretty sight... then the fixed female....

He was scratching and I gave him a flea bath... he was VERY dirty...

over the next several days his scratching got worse... we gave him an oatmeal bath twice and I even put some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) on him since I thought he had dry skin....

I started doing some web searches when I started scratching and determined that he probably had sartopic mange or scabies in people....

I took him to the vet and he confirmed my diagnosis and gave the poor little bugger a couple of shots, a wormer, and after the second visit in a week, we had to lye dip the puppy....

Well it is now three weeks and the whole family has been treated for scabies w/me being done twice.... the puppy having been to the Vet three times and goes again in a week....

I found the guy that sold me the puppy on Saturday and he gave me my money back but it didn't make me feel much better since he kept insisting that there wasn't anything wrong with any of his other dogs.... If a puppy that's just three weeks old has a case of mange that bad, there's no way the other dogs he has doesn't have it.... The Vet said there's no way a three week old puppy no matter what the breed could be weaned....

We're now feeding wet puppy food and some evaporated milk mixture and he's just now grabbing food out of the other dogs bowl.... He had worms so bad that it looked like a bowl of ramen noodles.... poor baby... the good news is he gained 2.2 lbs in a week since being wormed and being treated for mange....

He'll still need another lye dip tomorrow and maybe even another Iverm. treatment....

Lesson learned... I should have gone to Alabama to get the puppy from a fellow BYC user....

Now my male dog is showing signs of mange... AGGGHHHHHH!!

he.gif

barnie.gif

AWWWW poor baby!!! Poor YOU!!!
Yuh 7-8 weeks in the pups. Momma has to have time to teach them to be a puppy doggy
Hugs and good luck
Christina

Having been a breeder of GSP's for years, I must say that I am appauled by this mans lack of morals! What a horrible individual to rip a 3 week old pup from it's mother and sell it! Even worse to allow his dogs to be infested with worms and mange mites!!!!
somad.gif
rant.gif
This kind of stuff makes me furious!!!
I am so sorry you had to go through such an ordeal but let me say that I am glad you are the one who got the puppy because so many others would not have taken care of the baby the way you have. I wish you and the little guy all the best!

How many dogs did he have? This is beyond the infamous "backyard breeder" and is leaning towards puppy mill.

I don't know what kind of laws you have there, but here in CA he would be in big trouble for selling puppies that young AND for abuse. I would contact animal control and report what kind of conditions the dogs were living in , and don't forget to tell them about the confirmed Scabies. It can be passed to humans so it is a big deal.

I second the animal control deal!!! No pup is gonna be weaned that young....He musta had a great line to get u to fall for it! People who run those kind of 'businesses' can be brutal. And mange is horrible!!! When my kid was diagnosed with scabies (still don't know if that's what it was) I used the permethrin treatment on him and it didn't work and just made him sick. The only way I got rid of it was by mixing tea tree oil into some lotion and rubbing that over every inch of his body. we never got it, though, which is why I'm not sure if it was scabies...I'm glad u all were able to take the pup to the vet, and WHERE ARE THE PICS?!?!?!?!

I agree you should be mad at this guy. Three weeks is way to young, but you should also be mad at yourself, because 3 weeks is way to young, no matter what ANYONE says!! Puppies need to be not only weaned but need to be taught manners and social interactions from their mom and siblings. Many states have laws that puppies can't be sold or placed before 8 weeks and those laws are there for good reasons, even if they are often ignored.

I hope your puppy makes a full recovery, along with the rest of your dogs and household. I also hope you have no future problems with the puppy due to his missing those crucial weeks with his sibs.

You know you see this little (12 pound) puppy in a cage with a bowl of puppy kibbles and water and you see it take a bit and the little look he gives you melts your heart.....

It was at a stock yard where they mostly sell fowl and I'd seen this guy before but had never taken an interest in his birds and then I see this pup and then he's in my arms and I'm handing money to the guy and off I go.... it happened so quickly and only on the way home was what he told me sinking in and I felt very foolish for not asking a billion questions but by then it was too late, we'd all fallen for the little guy....

Thanks for listening...
jumpy.gif

I'm sorry. I had scabies for nearly two years before the I figured out what it was. I didn't have a dog, but one of my cats was only mildly infested, so no one thought of scabies. TWO YEARS! of itching and scarring. I can't believe all the doctors and dermatologists and vets acted like complete jerks whenever I suggested I had the same thing as the cat. I'm so glad you were able to catch it before it became a problem for the human family members. Good for you for keeping the dog!

Back
Top Bottom