New Puppy! Pics! And a question...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicky Joy, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, we somehow found ourselves with another new addition, a 9 week old Jack Russell puppy. It's a girl, and we decided to name her Ginger. We know someone who had pups this fall and we had considered getting one but after spending the money on my hubby's Blue Tick we decided not to spend money on a pup. Well, it's been a while since we considered it but when the person with the pups offered to give us one we couldn't resist. We have a soft spot for animals and it's obvious from our collection of pets. Needless to say we aren't getting any more for a very very very long time. We have enough to keep us busy and keep us entertained [​IMG]

On another note, does anyone have experience with Jack Russells? I'm amazed at how attached this puppy has gotten to me. I love it, but I also want to make sure she's friendly and sociable with other people and animals. How can I make sure that happens? I've seen Jack Russells that are very aggressive and snippy with people other than their owners. She's so attached to me that she hardly interacts with my husband at all.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a JR. That was the wildest dog I ever had. He would run circles around you then take off into the yard balls out. They love to play.

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Grats on the new pup... have your hubby interact with her more than he usually would for a while...and take part in obedience. BUT I had a friend who had Jack Russells and one of them would run to the fridge when it was opened and put his tennis ball in there. They would toss it out and next time the fridge door opened he would do it again. They definitely like to keep busy. BUt she loved them more than life and htey were friendly to her family and friends but she did do alot of socializing with them

4. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I might try to have DH do some training with her with lots of rewards and treats to get her to interact with him. Also, if you have kids have them do some training, too. We got our puppy last year and we would have everyone stand in a different room in the house with treats and call the dog. When my son would call him he would go running to the room that he was in and my son would have him sit and then give a treat. We would do the same with my daughter and then me and my husband. Now he will come to anyone who calls him. It is also great exercise for all of that JR energy![​IMG]

5. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    I have not had a JRT but from what i see there a ball of energy always needing to go or do something. I would say get your family and the dog into agility or training . And socializing them should keep her from being to mean. I take my dogs to stores that alow pets like petsmart there's always people that wants to come up and pet your dog and talk to you about them.

6. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    All good advice so far! and an absolutely adorable little girl! Keep her puppy-butt busy (worn out!) and make sure hubby and kids interact positively a LOT. The obedience/agility training is an excellent way to keep everyone involved and on the same page as far as consistency and behavior expectations go. The more she's socialized with anyone/anything, the better her temperament will be as an adult. Beware the "She's such a little trouble maker that I don't take her anywhere" tendency. It's worth some embarrassment and self-control on your part now to create a confident, happy adult dog later. And this is especially true for small-breed terriers-- I worked for 4yr at a vet clinic and the difference is HUGE! Enjoy the little beastie, she's lovely. [​IMG]

7. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    Well, when my hubby gets home I'll have him give her some treats and all that fun stuff. She seems to be very smart and quick to learn, as the breed is known to be.

She's doing great with house training. The people we got her from were already starting the process so she's slid into the routine of going outside very quickly. She's only had one accident in a bit over two days, and that was my fault for sleeping in. She's also learning to come and sit.

She's still very needy with me. I've read about this breed having separation anxiety issues. She doesn't like to sit by herself and she barks and whines when I'm out of her sight. I think I just need to leave her be for the most part and hopefully she'll grow to be more independent.

8. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    Well, it's been a little over a week since we got the little devil. We are having tons of fun. She has bonded with my husband quite well. She's still extremely attached to me but she does ok when I leave her alone.

We're working on house-training of course. She's doing a good job, especially with our horribly cold temperatures and snow that comes up to her belly or higher.

Ginger insists on sitting on my lap when I'm on the computer, or anywhere else for that matter. Right now I have to move her to the couch so I can get up and check on dinner. Silly pup.

9. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    This is my Feist terrier Joey. He is the best dog I've ever had. He is gentle with my girls (6 and 3) and oh so very patient. He sleeps with us at night and goes with us where ever we go. He loves to chew up my socks, that's the only bad habit he has. He's never been agressive or obsessive about anything. He is a snoop though... We just moved to town and he stands in our living room window all the time watchin the neighbors. I LOVE your new puppy! She is such a cutie pie! I would practice some of the other suggestions with having your DH socialize with her too. Joey follows me everywhere in the house, doesn't go to bed until I go to bed (even if DH is in bed). But when he is home with DH by himself, he doesn't show him much love. Hiked his leg up on him last week (though didn't pee) the message was still the same. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Adorable JRT! They can be little hellions if they get bored. If you are both gone during the day, crating her would be a good idea, or make sure she has something to do. I have 2 JRT/Rat Terrier mixes, about 6 months apart. Oreo totally understands that he is supposed to stay in the kitchen if I put up the barrier, and is well behaved about it. Nutter, OTOH, feels that confinement = concentration camp and he will do ANYTHING to get out. He can jump 5 ft straight up. if he can hook a paw over a gate/barrier/counter he can pull himself up and over. JRTs are STRONG!! He clawed THROUGH the sheetrock wall, THROUGH the insullation, and THROUGH the second layer of sheetrock between the kitchen and the livingroom in 1 DAY while I was at work. It still amazes me that we didn't have puppy kabobs on the barbie that night..... [​IMG] So, he started spending the day in an extra large crate with a Kong or one of those "random treat dispensing" toys.

If you have a dog park in your area, take her there. She can run, interact with other dogs and with other people. When I do rescue work with dogs that are timid or have bonding issues, I take them there almost every day. It is fun to see your pup interacting with other people and other dogs!

Obedience training is a MUST and agility training is an EXCELLENT suggestion. If you have kids, it is a great activity for them as well. JRTs will rule the roost if you do not establish yourself as top dog. I think this is why they are so often abused or surrendered. They have a strong will and a wickedly keen intelligence; you have to become top dog in a positive way, otherwise the hellion factor starts to appear.

To bond with others, have them take her for walks, play with her, (fetch is another great activity) brush her, and give her treats.

Be prepared to devote time every single day to wearing her out. My 2 Terrierists could run flat out for 2 hours at the dog park without breathing hard. Terriers were breed to be working dogs. They want to have a purpose, and they want to be busy.

If you have Chickens (which I would assume since you are on BYC:D) you need to get her with the chickens/chicks NOW. She needs to learn that they are her JOB, not her buffet. The earlier this is learned the better off you are. My one terrier (Nutter the Hellion) would eat my flock in a heartbeat. Oreo, OTOH, loves the chickens, runs into the coop to give them baths, eat chicken poop, and curl up with them under the heat lamps.

Cheers!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by