New Puppy! Pics - guess the mix!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by foxinachickenhouse, Nov 21, 2012.

1. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    This is our new puppy. We have named her "Ruby". She is 12 weeks old and the calmest puppy I have ever had.

We had the opportunity to meet her mother and litter mates who were also at the shelter where we adopted Ruby.

We thought Mom is a heeler / maybe pitbull mix? Mom is about 35-40 lbs. and very smart and sweet. Judging from the siblings we were thinking dad is an Aussie shepard mix. So we are calling Ruby a Texas Heeler mix. Her fur is getting a downy undercoat like a German Shepard might have. Some people see beagle, spaniel, and lab.

What do you all think? We hope she will be a good chicken guard dog. So far, she is very calm around the chickens who are terrified of her.

Below are pics of 1. Ruby, 2. Momma, and 3. - 5. Litter mates.

Also, has anyone done the DNA test for breed type?

[​IMG]
    RUBY

[​IMG]
    MOMMA

[​IMG]
    Brother

[​IMG]
    Sister

[​IMG]
    Ruby and siblings

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Adorable! [​IMG] I am so jealous. I love rescues and I love puppies. The mom looks really sweet also. Do you have any other dogs?

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    They are soooooooo Cute!
    Congrats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Boy,looking at the pups, I think I am seeing some border collie in there.

They are adorable!

5. foxinachickenhouse

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    We don't have any other dogs right now, my 16 yo girl died this summer. Hopefully we can get another dog in the next couple of years and have two.
    I think border collie is a good guess. That coloring with the white collar too makes sense. Their faces are not pointed at all, they are all real square, almost swiss mountain dog like. I am hoping the people who adopted the siblings will want to get together to puppy romp. It will be interesting to see how they all turn out.

Now I wonder if we are seeing some brittany spaniel. Ruby the puppy is real calm almost like a hound dog. Puddle of puppy type dog.

Would love to see more guesses.

6. foxinachickenhouse

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Anybody else want to chime in on Ruby's mix? I can post more pictures if that would help. Her fur is becoming very dense.

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Momma looks like a cattle dog mix (I can't comment on what else that brought in the bridling, though have seen a lot of pitbull type mixes or Amstaffs and am Pitt terriers mixed with ACDs here as of late), and have to agree with border collie over Aussie. Aussies tend to pass on heavy and thick mouth corners even when mixed. Border collies tend to have cleaner corners. Idk though, either could lead to those markings.

The DNA breed test worked when we tried it, but I have heard horror stories of Great Danes getting results for chihuahuas. X)

8. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I definitely see the pitbull/heeler in his mom....It'a hard to know for the pups though.

9. foxinachickenhouse

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Punk- I have heard all kinds of things with the DNA test too. It's nice to know it works sometimes though. Just wondering about what you mean when you say "mouth corners" -- like at the back crease where top and bottom lip meet or how the top lip corners are under the whiskers?

It's interesting, when I first met the Mom, AST didn't even cross my mind. I didn't think about it until I saw the pic that I posted of her. Mom's mouth is really pointed and she just acts and moves like a cow dog. Very responsive and focused. And slight of build. Now I am wondering. Ruby's face is kind of wide but it could come from Boxer or something like that too. Most people think brittany spaniel when they see her but then they see the other pups and we go straight to herding dogs.

Ruby has a herding mentality...won't go ahead until the group is all together. Runs from front to back of group etc. She is very responsive in her training but has come up with a stubborn streak that I have not seen in my herding mixes in the past.

I hope someone adopts the Mom. She is having a hard time finding a home...:(

10. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    I think the puppies look part Aussie. Cute, cute, cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by