New puppy/ what am I?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JulieNKC, Apr 4, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    This is my daughter's new puppy Chloe. Momma is the shih tzu across the street. Don't know who daddy is, but I do remember seeing a cute smooth coat jack russell hanging around a for a few weeks when momma was in heat I think. Chloe has wire hair, don't know much about dog genetics so don't know if that means her daddy had to be a wirehaired dog or if it could be further back. She's a cute ugly lil pup, lol. She has a shih tzu body, and so far a shih tzy temperament, lol. She is very laid back and calm and sweet, hope she stays this way. [​IMG] Anyway, do you all think I am right on her parentage?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I was going to say wire haired Jack Russell and that was before I read your post.

3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I would agree on the jack russell but most of all it is CUTE!!!

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    How cute! Yep that Jack is the Baby Daddy! My jack is tan/white and rough coated and his pups were broken coated. This pup reminds me of them.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'd agree with the Jack Russell idea. I'd be wary of them myself. Crazy crazy hyper and big-time predators(read: chicken killers).
    I think they can be good dogs if you are FIRM with them, especially when it comes to housetraining, AND if you exercise them a lot DAILY no matter what kind of weather there is, and NEVER EVER "trust" them around small animals/chickens.

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    yep, I say the daddy is the jack

7. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:So far, luckily for me she seems to have got her mommas temperament and energy/prey drive. My chi is crazy/hyper. We spend a lot of time outside trying to wear his butt out, I'm hoping she eventually gets enough energy to play with him and give me a break. I don't "trust" any animals around my kids, it seems to me leaving a kid and a dog unsupervised together would be like leaving my 18month old and my baby together. An accident waiting to happen, lol. My dogs are never out at the same time as my chickens off lead. I don't trust the chi around them at all. My chickies have an enclosed run, and when they are out to roam I stay with them. Too many loose dogs and hawks.

8. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I agree she looks like a Jack shiht [​IMG] Adorable little thing!

9. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Lol:lol:

10. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    In the second pic. I see the puppy's mouth/nose face looks alot like a jack russells does.

Sure cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by