New puppy!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Alleyoops25, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    a few days ago I found a add in the paper for free puppies. Since I gave away my son's dog here a while back I have been hunting for a new pup. I had seen several adds in the paper for puppies, and they either were not a breed that I wanted or they were all taken. :flSo a gave it a call and the guy had two pupies left. He told me that they were border collie, Aussie mix. He gave me a description of them over the phone. One was Merle colred and the other was black with white and tan markings. I told him I was interrested in the second one. After I got off the phone with him , I got on the computer and looked up both breeds on the internet, and learned more about them. My DH and I decided we had a active enough life style that we could handle the breed. So late yesterday after noon when we got everything done at the fair and went to see her.[​IMG] She was so cute and sweet , we had to have her. She has been really good so far, she was pretty shy last night, but is coming around quick and has been romping around with our German Shep. and with the kids. My DH put her in bed with us last night so that she could wake us up if she needed to go potty, and she wouldn't feel alone some. She woke me up at about 3:00 and I took her out to do her bussiness. And then my DH Took her out agian at 6:00.[​IMG] So far she is being a very good little girl, she is afriad of the chickens, and the cats. The chickens are currious and follow her around which sends her in to a total hissy fit.[​IMG] She also loves to play with the water hose in the yard. I turned on the water and she started attacking it and then picked it up and tried carrying it off.[​IMG] It feel sawesome to have her here it feels the emptyness of give away Scooby. I think since she is a pup she will be better for our kids, and she wont have the want to run off like the other one did. I honestly feel that majority of dogs you see in animal shelters that are Adults have problems like running off. Adult dogs dont really get a firm connection with you either when you get adults, I am not saying never. We got our German Shep. from a pound and she is absolutly a wonder ful dog. But I am saying a lot of times they dont. Anyways I am prefectly happy with her. Here are some pictures I took of her this morning, isnt she gorgeous!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] THe last one is when she first discovered the garden hose. Here is a picture of our other dog her name is Lady. Also WE are having a hard time thinking up a name for the puppy if you have any ideas please let me know. THanks[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    she so adorable,,to bad i already have a border coliie i ont need no more i want a hound puupy

3. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    How long have you had your border collie, and how easy was it to trian? What I have seen and read they are very smart and catch on to things really quick. What were any problems youve had with yours, if any? This is our first dog of this breed and any thing you guys got feel free to tell. I know I said I rescearched it. But I want to compare the info. I read with some of you guys that have or had a dog of this breed. It will also help me in better handling not that I think I doing it wrong or know about taking care of one but mostly wonderng about any tricks that worked good for trainingher to be a well mannered and trianed dog.

4. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I never owned either breed your new puppy is mixed with, and I'm sure I can't add anything you didn't already research. I can add that both those breeds are great for agility courses. It may be something fun for your kids to get involved in. The both breeds are very intelligant and easy to train.

And being a pet groomer I have to add, get her used to being brushed now. She will get an undercoat to her after a approx a year. She won't just shed, but blow her coat in clumps. If not brushed regulary, it will matt or get real think and hurts to have it removed. Used a sliker brush on her and follow through with a comb, pick the hair up and brush it down. The tail you just kinda have hold it in a clup and brush it out of your hand. Areas to be over concerened about and the tail, rear feathers, shoulder blades, neck and chest, and belly. You already have a shepard so I'm sure you have an idea about coat blowing, but the coat on this puppy will more then likely be thicker, unless she has more Border then Aussie in her. Good luck with her.

And I like the name "River" myself.

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    border colies are very intelegent if i waz u i would go ahead and introduce her to the chickens and stuff,,are border colie is a pet not realy ment for herding our animals but when we let her out she will walk around the chickens intill she get them in a perfect circle then will herd them in the coop;s,pen's,ect' and she has never been trained or anything she is such a sweet loving dog., [​IMG]

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    oh yea she is 6 yrs,old

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    What about "Tag", like tag, your it...its a good border collie name, my friends has one named that......

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  8. ChickenDawg

ChickenDawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2007
    GA
    She's a cutie-pie! I love that first pic. It's like she's saying to the camera "Yep, you know I'm cute"! [​IMG] I'm sure you guys will enjoy having her.

9. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I don't want to put a damper on your new puppy excitement, but I have to warn you...that combination of breeds is going to be a tough one!

I'm a professional dog trainer and I also show my dogs in many sports. Aussies and BCs make fantastic working and competition dogs, and by the same token, they usually make horrible pets. :eek: Their drive to work often turns into destructive, obsessive behavior that can make a regular family crazy! Border collies in particular do not make good pets; they're meant to work. And work. And work and work and work. I'm not joking when I say it might be a good idea to teach her to herd your chickens; many of the best BCs herd ducks!

Also, be sure to socialize her well. All of the herding breeds tend to be a little to VERY sound sensitive, and are often suspicious of new situations...this suspicion can later develop into aggression, but it doesn't have to. Just take her with you everywhere you go, and have visitors to your house feed her treats.

Get her into a training class sooner rather than later. Puppies are always great when they're young because they follow you around, they generally listen, they respect boundaries, etc...adolescence is when the wheels come off the bus, so to speak. At 6-8 months, cute little fluffballs turn into unruly terrors driven by hormones and changing bodies, even if they're spayed or neutered. If you put your puppy through a class and keep her mind working and occupied, you'll save yourself a lot of irritation and grief later!![​IMG]

Amy

10. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I to am a groomer!!! I have been in that for about five years. I used to work in a shop but quit to go into nursing. And now that I am a stay at home my I have been picking back up with the grooming agian.
    Agilityscots I feel pretty confident that I can also trian her fairly well. I probably should have added that while I was in high school and in 4-H I did Dog obedience for my project. Then the leader of that hired me on when I was 14 to help her in training dogs for the disabled. I loved doing that. It was so amazing to take a pup, (many different breeds) And then work them and turn them into these awesome caregivers. Once we got them trianed we would give them to handicapped people. We actually had lists of people wanting our dogs. And we would go to their homes and see what areas they need help in and then try to talor them a dog to help them in those problem areas. I had to quit it once I got out of school and started working full time. I alsways thought I was going to become a vet. but I got married and had kids. I wanted to stay close to home to be with my Dad and the college here didnt offer any thing like that so I went and got my Nursing licsence instead.
    I have a Uncle who is a vet, and his wife is a groomer also. She is the one that taught me how to groom dogs. And now they are trying to get me to go to Denver to become a Vet. So that I can take over their bussiness for them so they can have more time to travel.
    I am pretty good about keeping dogs active, I jog in the morning and either hike or go go biking in the evening. AQnd I usaully try to go about 3 to 5 miles in the evening . Now that I have been diagnosed with A.S. I am working out like that more than ever. I need to keep my muscles in shape and strengthen everything. Eventually all the bones in my spine and my ribs will be totally fused together . I need to get in shape now so that my back doesnt curve. Lady goes with me on these trips. And once the pup gets about 6 or 7 months old she will go also. For now she cant go with me in the morning for walks, but I am not going to push her into long distant exercises because it will risk having joint problems.
    I really do apperciate all your help and posts. I love reading the feed backs I get and you all are giving me useful information. And hey keep giving ideas for names I want many to chooose from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by