New Puppy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by watsonlane, Aug 13, 2011.

1. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    I haven't had a new puppy for over 6 years and need a refresher course on how to house train them and the works.....any advise?

2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Kitchen timer is your friend. Set it to take your puppy out every twenty minutes for lofty training to begin with. Also, right after they eat and as soon as they wake up. They love to chew on cords. Make certain all are either hidden or put out of reach.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    crate crate crate!!!

I tether the pup to me, schedule 3 feedings a day. When I am doing something and can't keep focused on the pup, into the crate.
    I take outside to potty immediately after eating. If they don't potty then, I tether them to me or put them in the crate - wait 30 mins and take them out again. Repeat until they potty outside. Then it's party time! treats, praise, and a little bit of playing in the yard.

I pull water about an hour before bed. A last potty-break before bed then (depending on the age of the pup) I will sit an alarm for the middle of the night, unless the pup wakes me up on his own.

Potty immediately on waking up in the morning.

Basically, my idea is if they never get the chance to potty in the house, the faster it will go. Singe was housebroken within a couple of weeks.

4. watsonlane

Jul 9, 2010
    She is a pound puppy and CRIES all day/night if she's in the crate!!! that's how i trained the other two and she doesn't seem to do anything but cry in the crate for HOURS AND HOURS!!!!! i can put her in the bathroom and she's not so bad but the crate seems to terrify her or something horrible!

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Crate train for sure and take her out potty every hour. When she pees or poops outside praise her and give her a small treat. Don't give her a treat if she doesn't go. Dogs are food motivated and she should catch on quick. Good luck.

Keep up with the crate training. She will get over it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  6. mothrhen

mothrhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Maryland
    try and stick it out with the crate! It is the best way. All the previous posts are perfectly correct. Try to ignore her when she's crying in the crate. I try to put a special bone/toy in the crate that is only allowed in the crate. Also, have a good attitude about putting her in the crate. If you feel bad about putting her in it, she will pick up on that emotion and feel like it's a bad place to be. My dogs all have their meals in the crate as well. I have so many if they didn't eat in a crate they would be eating each others food (or worse, fighting over food). My dog math is a little worse than my chicken math but, I've been working at it a lot longer. Give me time and my chicken math will catch up!! Good luck. Thanks for getting a dog out of jail!! Keep us posted on how it's going

7. watsonlane

Jul 9, 2010
    She's only 12 weeks old so am I expecting to much to soon? I've had her two weeks. Plus I work at night so we try to put her inside the bathroom at night and in her pen during the day. is that confusing her too?

8. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    House Training

House training your dog is simple if you follow a few basic rules.

1) The puppy must have NO time unsupervised in your home. NONE. If you are not directly watching the puppy, it should be in the crate, or outside in a safe area. You MUST watch the puppy at ALL times when loose in the house. Use baby gates, crates, or tie the leash to your belt.

2) The puppy should sleep inside the crate by your bedside. This way you can hear if the puppy should happen to need to go out during the night.

3) You must go WITH the puppy outside for ALL trips for elimination. You must have treats with you. When the puppy is urinating, say "GO PEE PEE" in a nice praise tone of voice the entire time. When she is finished, pop the treat into her mouth at once, and praise praise praise. This should be something she gets at no other time, like tiny pieces of string cheese or boiled chicken. Same for defecation. Say "GO POOP" while she is going, and food reward and praise afterwards. You must observe and reward ALL outdoor potty time.

4) Keep a schedule. Feed at the same time, and walk outside at the same times. If your pup is older than 12 weeks, she needs at least 4 trips outdoors each day, and 5 is probably better. Pup needs to go out at wake up time, lunch time, 4-5 PM, after dinner or any other meals, and before bed. Younger puppies may need to go out MUCH more often.

5) Use a key word each time you go out. I say "Let's go out!!" in a happy tone of voice each time I'm opening the door to go out with the dog.

6) If you catch the puppy IN THE ACT of eliminating in your house, CLAP YOUR HANDS, say AH AH, OUTSIDE!! And immediately rush her outside. If she finishes there, do your usual food reward and praise.

The keys to getting your dog reliably housetrained are:

SUPERVISION: NO loose time in the house if you are not watching. NOT ONE SECOND. This is VERY important.

REWARDS: ALL outdoor elimination MUST be observed and rewarded. If you only do this ONE thing, your puppy will get housetrained.

PATIENCE: Anger and punishment have no place in dog training. Elimination is a natural and pleasurable experience for your dog. You can teach her to not soil your house, but punishment will NOT help. It will only teach the dog to hide when she needs to eliminate.

If you have applied these techniques carefully for 4 weeks and you are still finding spots or piles after the fact, it's time for stronger measures. Roll up a newspaper and fasten both ends with a rubber band. Keep it handy. The very next time you find a spot or a pile that the dog has left behind, whip out that newspaper, and hit YOURSELF over the head firmly several times as you repeat "I FORGOT TO WATCH MY PUPPY".

Works every time.

-----------------------------------------------

The Recall Game

Why Your Puppy Needs a ToyBox

Get in puppy class as soon as your puppy is vaccinated. Get your puppy out of the house to visit with friendly people at least 3X per week once it is vaccinated. Make HAPPY VISITS to your vet several times per month to visit with staff, get weighed, and eat cookies. This will make a dog who likes to go to the vet.

Much more GREAT training info on Kikopup's YouTube channel.

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:yup, best training advice ever! [​IMG] I had to employ that technique with my husband who didn't grasp that watching TV while the puppy was in the room didn't count as "watching the puppy"

10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

This is wonderful advice! I followed a similar routine when my German Shepherds were pups. Now at the age of 3, I can take them out and tell them "Go Potty" (pee) or "Go Poop" and they usually do on command. It makes it very nice if it is raining or if you are in a hurry and need them to go instead of fooling around. I still praise them and give positive reinforcement when they "go potty". I also use their name along with the command as we have 3 dogs and want to make sure they know which one we are addressing.

My GSDs also still sleep in their crates and are crated when we go away. This keeps them safe and out of trouble as well as keeps my 2 males (1 GSD & 1 Beagle) from fighting as they don't get along. They get either kongs with peanut butter mixed with their kibble & frozen or raw beef leg bones as crate treats. They like their crates and will even go in them on their own for naps or alone time.

Also ~ please remember to always remove their collars when putting them in their crates. Many dogs have died when their collars/tags have gotten caught up in the crate bars and they strangle trying to get loose.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by